Mid Range Hesitation

formline

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have a 1975 that I just but back together. The bike idles great but hesitates in the mid range and then clears up. The needle is set in the middle groove. Would changing the settting of the needle remedy the problem? Everything is stock including the air cleaners. Thank you for any advice.

The 75 carbs the needle clip is in slot #4 from the top. Moving the clip from slot 3 to 4 will richen the mixture off idle to 3/4 throttle.
This should fix your hesitation.
Leo

Yes, you've got your needles set one step leaner than stock. Do as Leo says.

I have to retract my statement on stock. I put new mufflers on and they are a little more straight through then stock. Should I also move up to 130 from the stock 127.5 on the main jet? Thanks for your help.

I would certainly try it. You can always go back if it's not right but you'll never know if you don't try. This is how you dial in carbs. You experiment and find what works best. Every one of these bikes reacts a bit different to mods so there isn't an exact answer as to what will work best for yours. Work your way up through the next couple consecutive main jet sizes and find out.

Well today I solved the problem. While I was changing the snap ring on the needle something didn't seem right. I had just put in the carb kit for the 75 from Mikes XS. The needle at the time didn't seem right. I checked the numbers and they weren't the same as the book stated. I had the set of originals really different from Mikes kit. I put the originals back in and perfection in the entire range. Its not the first time I've had problems from Mikes but problem solved. No really thank god for Mikes XS. Thank you for the help.

Most any kit that comes with needles and jets are a generic set up. They may or may not be right. This applies to everyone not just Mike's.
Leo

Back