Middle of the job

I think I see those 2 plugs in your last pic sitting just above the rear shock.

When you remove the clutch switch relay, you do need to add a jumper wire or the starter won't function. I think that's why your starter isn't working. I'm pretty sure I see that clutch switch relay plug in the forefront of your last pic. It has 4 wires, a light blue, a black/yellow, and 2 red/whites. You must jumper the 2 red/whites together to make the starter work .....
YES. That was the issue. She is cranking and starting :)

Thank you very much for your help.

Last edited:
Is it possible to bypass/eliminate the neutral switch?
The neutral switch light has gone out and I have tested the switch itself, and it is good.
So needless to say the bike will not start anymore.
I have verified that the bike is in neutral.
And does the RLU need to be plugged in?

If you've removed the sidestand switch and relay, and removed the clutch switch, relay, and jumpered it's relay harness plug, then the neutral light being on or off, or the bike being in neutral or not, shouldn't effect starting anymore.

Does the engine turn over with the starter and not start or not even cranking? If no cranking I might check the battery. Low battery = no crank.
Sometime if the battery is low it may crank but not have enough power to run the TCI. The TCI likes full voltage.
Leo

The RLU has nothing to do with starting either. It's a headlight control item. Most of us do away with the thing because like the other safety relays, on a 40 year old bike it's just another problem waiting to happen. It does require a jumper wire to restore headlight function. Details are here .....

http://www.excess650.co.uk/tips & tricks.htm

If you've jumpered the R/W wire like 5twins said to do, you've eliminated the neutral switch from the system. Maybe double check the jumper is still connected?

Untitled.png

A barrel fuse had blown of all things.
t is cranking and starting again.
I also got the RLU removed and jumpered.
Thanks again for ever ones help.

These bikes are finicky finding neutral. It is best to keep the neutral light, without it finding neural can be problematic.

I'm not in the cool-aid about the RLU..........It is a good safety feature IMHO. If you are a night rider why not keep it.........My son asked me the other day what i thought about it as every thing he has read says to get rid of it because it will break down anyways..........My response was just think about this. If your riding at night and the filament blows the RSU automatically resets to the other filament......Get a scare but lights back on and still on the road........if the RLU has been bypassed and a filament blows.....automatically you are in the dark doing what ever speed your going, worst situation is it happens when going around a corner...........By the time you register what has happened and respond with a solution......... first thought is whats going on, ..........second thought is how to fix it.........third thought is work the switch.............this is if you can think clearly without any panic..........In this time the bike will have traveled some distance and your in the dark.......Chances of having a crash have just gone up by 1000%.............

Now if you don't ride in the dark and only daytime ridingiit is still preferable to to have the light on at all times, again it is a safety thing so that other traffic have a better chance of seeing you and less chance of hitting you because they didn't see you as oncoming when they overtake another vehicle of turn in-front of you into another road or such.............Again the RLU will reset the other filament f one bows so the headlight is still on...............if it is bypassed and the filament blows there is no way to know as the warning light will be disconnected and being daytime there is no other way to see it has..........the only way is at the next stop is to check to make sure the light is on before moving off again, either by getting off the bike and looking or by putting your hand in front of the light...........this is what i used to do, (on my 83), every time i started off from a stop, by that i mean after stopping and turning the bike off and restarting.........

If by some chance the RLU does quit then to bypass it is simply done and you do know it isn't working so any problem that may arise is forewarned....... people talk about regularly practicing emergency stops so you know the braking power of the bike and it helps to bring down reaction time ............ If your a night rider, and have bypassed a working RSU, how many practice an emergency headlight failure so any reaction is automatically to hit the headlight high/low switch..........

Yes a RSU could and can fail.......A working RLU will save time and possibly your life.

Back