Mikes ATU

yamahammer

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I just replaced my worn ATU with the Mikes part for $65 and my bike has never run this good. I knew the timing curve had a big effect on how an engine runs from tuning with megasquirt but when you only have two cylinders pumping the difference in engine character can be huge. The dead spot in the middle is gone, it pulls until valve float, and the clutch slips in the last two gears now.... it just goddam barks.

It is serisouly the best 65 bucks I've ever spent on this bike, thank you Taiwan! :thumbsup:

you can thank Taiwan when it explodes into a million pieces and leaves you stranded....that's what my mikes ATU did to me, Pamco with e advance and never looked back,

I'm rephased, no e-advance for me. I use points, TFI modules, and car coils anyway, no PAMCO for me. I've looked at the pictures of the failures, it seems like some TIG welding on the backside should prevent the posts from wandering.

Ratcheting would put undue stress on those posts, just like on the cam chain. A rephased big bore with tall gearing should experience less centrifugal and variable (ratcheting) load.

If it blows, I'll be back, bitching about that shitty Taiwanese ATU that only lasted 5 years and 10,000 miles :wink2:

you can thank Taiwan when it explodes into a million pieces and leaves you stranded....that's what my mikes ATU did to me, Pamco with e advance and never looked back,
Same thing happened to mine after a few thousand miles. Replaced it with one from yambits and have had zero issues. More money but much better quality IMO. Ya never know, you might be fine with yours yamahammer...

is there any difference between mikes xs and yambits parts (same or different manufacters?????) mainly intrested in their camchain guides seeing mikes ones have a poor rep.naturely the atu and guides are going to look they same.also any word on petes 277 electronic atu (hope im not hijacking)

Whaddyya do is check mikes part tig the post if necessary. Thank the people who warned you. Good to hear your bike is running strong. Floating valves, it won't be running long enough to wear out the bogus part. A new set of clutch disk and springs will fix the slipping. Forodo clutches and springs worked for me. Have two seasons on mine no problems with clutch slipping. Mikes if you like. :thumbsup:

Back