Mikes Auto Advance in 1983

forty4ma9

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello all. Got the advance components from mikesxs to convert my 1983 over to the original Pamco system. Thought the install went pretty straight forward and it started up second kick or so but died and would not restart.

Investigation lead me to the auto advance plate was able to float off the locating pin on the camshaft as it seems to have 1/8"-3/16" play even thought I used a steel punch to tighten up the retaining nut. Slip back over the pin and it will start but die once it slips back off the camshaft pin.

Since then I've had it off a couple time, checking all three locating pins, tightening the nut to the point of chewed it quite a bit. Seems like the backplate or nut is too thin or I need a shim and was curious if anyone had thoughts.

The MikesXS advance rods are famous for being a poor fit, but usually too tight, not too loose, as your 1/8" to 3/16" of play indicates.

Take rod out, and measure distance between the shoulders where the threads start on each end. Be precise and report back.

Thanks for the replies.

I'll get the measurements off the rod next time I get it out but it seems like this is all about the threads on the camshaft, advance plate, and the retaining nut.

Pete I was reviewing your site before but will definitely take another look.

I'll get the measurements off the rod next time I get it out but it seems like this is all about the threads on the camshaft, advance plate, and the retaining nut.
You are correct, ignore my first reply.

It sounds like the retaining nut is not going on far enough. Try this: get the retaining nut snug, then see if you can push the advance plate further in. Repeat as necessary. There should be zero play.

Well I'm going to guess I buggered the threads on the retaining nut early on as I ordered a replacement one from Mikes. Got the replacement one and it seems to thread on a lot easier. No play on the advance plate after just the hand tightening of the nut.

Tapped around it with the punch and she kicked to life right away. Now to continue on getting it back together.

Back