Mike's side stand spring

I just ordered one from a local Yamaha/Honda dealer (Deptford Honda in Deptford, NJ). I'll let you know if it works out. The number I used is 90507-29009-00 from an online layout drawing of a 1979 xs650. $13.71 total for customer pickup.

The 650 used no fewer than 4 different side stands over the years. The #37-0006 spring Mike's sells claiming it will fit '70-'76 is only correct for the early '70-'73 cast stands .....

70-73Stand.jpg

The '74-'75 stands used a slightly longer spring .....

74-75Stand.jpg

The '76 stand was a one year only item but appears to use the same spring as the '77 and later stands. This was the longest spring used, too long for the earlier stands .....

76Stand.jpg

The parts listings are very confusing. For the '74-'75 models, Yamaha lists both the early and late spring, neither of which is correct, but not the proper one. It appears that original is N.L.A.

Attached the spring to the side stand, used a pry bar/centering tool. The side stand still does not stay up with the spring. Can someone post a pic of a '75 side stand showing the spring side of the stand? Mine doesn't look exactly like the '74-'75 example but its close. Thanks.

I don't have any pics of a '75 spring but I did have the same problem with the Mike's spring not holding up the stand. It did work at first but with each use it would sag a little more. After a week it would only return about half way. I went to the hardware store and bought a spring that was about the right size, cut it to length, and slapped it on there.

Back