Side stands

Tony g

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Morning all, my '75 frame needs a better or new side stand. Yambits sell stands for '77-'81. Would one of these fit or are they completely different mounting points etc?

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony, I don't know the answer to your question but there will be people along who do.

But sometimes you can find the answer to parts compatibility issues by visiting CMSNL - find the parts list for '75 and '77 and compare the side stands. They'll have the part numbers and a diagram which can often be enough to see if it's the same bit or different.

Me again, just had a quick shufty at CMSNL and the parts numbers are '75 - 1T32731100 and for '77 - 3412731101, the prices are different and the photos look different. Exploded parts diagram looks like a different mount on the frame. Not conclusive . . . but I doubt the '77-on would fit your '75 frame.

Big diff 74-75 is those low stock muffs require a long snaky "toe tab" to clear,
74-75
1699005052696.png

later standard
1699005178268.png

The "special" stands have a much different mount,
1699005363765.png

Thanks guys, I will have to get mine repaired then. Its been welded before and is nasty looking.

Cheers

Tony

I just went on CMSNL thats a great site for numbers :) (never been there before). Are they genuine parts generally?

Cheers

Tony

Well, I don't know if everything CMSNL stocks is factory Yamaha parts - it could be that some has been alternatively sourced or new manufacture? They must have quite a big warehouse, looks like they do the other Japanese manufacturers as well.

Yambits sells a lot of OEM stuff but for unobtainable bits and pieces they get stuff made. Just as well, helps us keep these ancient bikes on the road, as long as the spec and quality is correct.

Fowlers of Bristol has a lot of Yamaha parts, some you can't generally find and I think they only do OEM.

If you side-stand is getting past it, maybe take a look on ebay? That's where it helps to recognise the different styles Yam fitted back in the day.

Well, I don't know if everything CMSNL stocks is factory Yamaha parts - it could be that some has been alternatively sourced or new manufacture? They must have quite a big warehouse, looks like they do the other Japanese manufacturers as well.

Yambits sells a lot of OEM stuff but for unobtainable bits and pieces they get stuff made. Just as well, helps us keep these ancient bikes on the road, as long as the spec and quality is correct.

Fowlers of Bristol has a lot of Yamaha parts, some you can't generally find and I think they only do OEM.

If you side-stand is getting past it, maybe take a look on ebay? That's where it helps to recognise the different styles Yam fitted back in the day.
Yes Im into Yambits and Fowlers already (Have RD 400 too). Ill prob get my clutch kit and gasket sets from Yambits this coming week. đź‘Ť

Here's some drawings for reference. Stands up to '76 used a clevis mount .....

'70-'73 Stand.jpg

'74-'75 Stand.jpg

'76 Stand.jpg

Stands from '77 and later models mount and pivot on a large round post. I quite like this stand and feel it's about the best I've ever had on any bike .....

'77-on Stand.JPG

It's very easy to install a grease fitting on it so you can keep it well greased .....

Sidestand Mount.jpg

Side Stand Grease Nipple3.JPG

I also lengthen it to fix the excessive lean angle created by longer than stock rear shocks. I just add some steel plate to the bottom of the foot, however much is needed. All ground down and painted, it almost looks factory, lol .....

Modded Side Stand.jpg

On my '83, I replaced the original stand with an older one, one without all the extra tabs and brackets associated with the side stand safety switch. All the stuff to the left of the spring was replaced with the simple spring post and older stand on the right ......

83Sidestand.jpg

Here's some drawings for reference. Stands up to '76 used a clevis mount .....

View attachment 254656

View attachment 254657

View attachment 254658

Stands from '77 and later models mount and pivot on a large round post. I quite like this stand and feel it's about the best I've ever had on any bike .....

View attachment 254659

It's very easy to install a grease fitting on it so you can keep it well greased .....

View attachment 254660

View attachment 254661

I also lengthen it to fix the excessive lean angle created by longer than stock rear shocks. I just add some steel plate to the bottom of the foot, however much is needed. All ground down and painted, it almost looks factory, lol .....

View attachment 254662

On my '83, I replaced the original stand with an older one, one without all the extra tabs and brackets associated with the side stand safety switch. All the stuff to the left of the spring was replaced with the simple spring post and older stand on the right ......

View attachment 254663
Brilliant info thanks :thumbsup:

Back