Mike's tappet adjusters

I guess they're fine but will suffer the same fate as your originals eventually. Poor design in my opinion on Yamaha's part.

I have 4 spare VW elephant foot adjusters lying around that I will let go of fairly inexpensive. If you would like to go that route PM me. They just take a little modification to your rocker arms.

The Virago adjusters have the same shit bottom end design and will wear just like the 650 originals.

You can use VW Bug automobile adjusters. Two of mine are those. The only difference from stock is the head is a slot instead of the little square part. I forget the years to ask for but you can match them up at any parts store. A VW guy told me he likes to use old original adjusters when he can get them because the metal in the new replacements is no good, but I haven't had any problems.

BTW, to clarify these WV adjusters are not "elephant's foot" type. Those you cannot get in or out without working on the camshaft. Without removing the engine from the frame, as far as I know. Dubious net gain to be had there....

Last edited:
1981-2011 700 750 920 1000 1100 models. 5twins is correct regarding the design of the "business" end, same as OEM 650 adjusting screws. If I ever had my engine out of the frame, I'd be interested in the "elephant foot" style, but don"t think I'd pull the engine just to do that swap.

Back