Mike's XS Commando Exhaust order screw up

XS771

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I cancelled my BUB exhaust order after it got delayed for the 3rd time and waiting over 2 months . So monday i ordered the commando street system and installed them on friday and went for a test ride. I really like the sound and performance it was just what it needed. Then i realized that something was wrong one of the headers was upswept and the other was not. I emailed mikes xs and told them about the problem and sent some pics . The only other problem was with the center stand stop but thats minor I can fix that.

Attachments

• IMG_6383.jpg
    IMG_6383.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 399
  • IMG_6378.jpg
    IMG_6378.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 1,157
  • IMG_6380.jpg
    IMG_6380.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 577
  • IMG_6384.jpg
    IMG_6384.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 616
Hmmmm, that is an odd screw-up, never seen that before. I ran mine for about a week without the baffle plug bolt in, then installed it. It doesn't reduce the overall sound much, if any, but does take the raspiness out. I like it better with the bolt in.

Hmmmm, that is an odd screw-up, never seen that before. I ran mine for about a week without the baffle plug bolt in, then installed it. It doesn't reduce the overall sound much, if any, but does take the raspiness out. I like it better with the bolt in.
I didn't know what the hell that baffle nut hole was for until it was to late, I drilled out that small nut hole and made the hole bigger. It's not too loud just about right but it sure runs better now than with the drilled out stock pipes.

Years ago in the mid '70s, BMW had an endurance race team. They found the BMW twin performed best with a 2-into-2 featuring long tapered megaphones. This Commando system is probably the closest we can get to something like that. I don't see the appeal of sawing your mufflers off and running short head pipes only or shorty mufflers. I don't like the look and I know the performance suffers.

Years ago in the mid '70s, BMW had an endurance race team. They found the BMW twin performed best with a 2-into-2 featuring long tapered megaphones. This Commando system is probably the closest we can get to something like that. I don't see the appeal of sawing your mufflers off and running short head pipes only or shorty mufflers. I don't like the look and I know the performance suffers.
5twins , Thanks and you're right I heard that from a lot of racers. I don't like Loud pipes either my ears are in bad enough shape now from racing (and other things like loud music) with out earplugs.

I had a similar problem with my headers from Mike's. I then mounted everything loose and positioned my system where I wanted it and then tightened everything. It did level out. I am running the British style mufflers. I hope this helps.

I had a similar problem with my headers from Mike's. I then mounted everything loose and positioned my system where I wanted it and then tightened everything. It did level out. I am running the British style mufflers. I hope this helps.
Thanks tonyc, I did the same thing you did mounted everything loose and read the instructions carefully over and over....Then I saw the upswept bend in the header pipe the other pipe had no bend .

The only other problem is with the passenger foot pegs they won't go on with out some creative modification.

My muffler hangers are attached to the passenger peg bolt......a little creative grinding on the hanger to allow that metal 'stop' on the peg to still function.

Also my mufflers are back far enough to not need a sidestand stop.....just extra carefull putting it up.

My muffler hangers are attached to the passenger peg bolt......a little creative grinding on the hanger to allow that metal 'stop' on the peg to still function.

Also my mufflers are back far enough to not need a sidestand stop.....just extra carefull putting it up.
Thanks nj1639 I was thinking of grinding the hanger like you did . I looked at the pics of your bike and notice that your mufflers are a lot farther back than mine . The instructions say side the muffler until the weld on the end cone is even with the end of the swingarm. But I guess if works ok on your bike I'll ok too but I'm not sure about not having the center stand stop. I think it might damage the muffler....

I probably shouldn't put this up but if you want 650 pics, you gottem ....

http://s1020.photobucket.com/albums/af327/bmwbobz/

..... all free, all gathered over the last few years, some mine, others admittedly stolen from the web. This is the internet ..... take what you can get and I don't even really exist, lol, lol.

Yeah, I meant center stand....my mentor that bestowed these pipes to me had a fab for the center stand stop and IF I recall correctly it was another hanger that was angled with a bit of a rubber bumper but I forget how it was attached. I'm just thinking that a stop could possibly be attached to the center stand itself where it comes up to the lower frame......Nah, that ain't happenin'

Last edited:
I probably shouldn't put this up but if you want 650 pics, you gottem ....

http://s1020.photobucket.com/albums/af327/bmwbobz/

..... all free, all gathered over the last few years, some mine, others admittedly stolen from the web. This is the internet ..... take what you can get and I don't even really exist, lol, lol.
Thanks 5twins, Thats what I needed there are loads of valuable info in all those photos.

I cancelled my BUB exhaust order after it got delayed for the 3rd time and waiting over 2 months . So monday i ordered the commando street system and installed them on friday and went for a test ride. I really like the sound and performance it was just what it needed. Then i realized that something was wrong one of the headers was upswept and the other was not. I emailed mikes xs and told them about the problem and sent some pics . The only other problem was with the center stand stop but thats minor I can fix that.
It's been two and a half weeks since I sent the header pipe back to mikes . And it looks like it's going to be two and a half more weeks or more before they get the problem solved. I've spent a lotta time and money on their fuck up $46 just on shipping . First they said send the left side header pipe back and they would send the correct pipe back . Well that didn't work so today they said send the other pipe too . I've ordered many parts from mikes before and had no problem, I understand sometimes things go wrong but they are making it worse. It takes 3 to 5 days for them to answer my emails and refuse to call me on the phone. I sent photos of the problem they still don't get it. If they would just call or if I could call them the problem would be solved in less than one minute.It's insulting for a good customer to be treated like shit . I haven't even been told that were sorry ,no apology at all or offer to pay the return shipping .

I would also like to say if it take Mikes XS 3-5 days to return a email and can't or won't answer the phone or call customers they must be every busy.Oh but the fax works.....maybe it's time to do some hiring I hear the unemployment rate is above 9% in Florida .

It's been two and a half weeks since I sent the header pipe back to mikes . And it looks like it's going to be two and a half more weeks or more before they get the problem solved. I've spent a lotta time and money on their fuck up $46 just on shipping . First they said send the left side header pipe back and they would send the correct pipe back . Well that didn't work so today they said send the other pipe too . I've ordered many parts from mikes before and had no problem, I understand sometimes things go wrong but they are making it worse. It takes 3 to 5 days for them to answer my emails and refuse to call me on the phone. I sent photos of the problem they still don't get it. If they would just call or if I could call them the problem would be solved in less than one minute.It's insulting for a good customer to be treated like shit . I haven't even been told that were sorry ,no apology at all or offer to pay the return shipping .
It would appear Mike L passed along the company procedures on how to piss off the customers who made the company a success .

If everyone remembers when these people bought Mike's they took orders and money but held merchandise for weeks. Not good. I have spent a few thousand there without any problems but after the take over I read of the slow deliveries.

I've put like new stock pipes back on ,I've just about got to the point where I'm ready say fuck it and forget about after market exhaust . After waiting over two months for the BUB pipes I cancelled that order . Now mikes can't get it together either I guess I should give up.

Back