Mikes XS1/XS2 replica exhaust installation

Sparkyduc

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am installing my exhaust on my XS2 and was wondering:
1) should I use anti seize on the nut between the header and the muffler and
2) it comes with clamps that go around the nut and fasten to the center stand bolt. Are these really necessary as it would look a lot cleaner without them, as far as I can tell they are just used to keep the nut from backing off.
Thanks for any feedback

After looking at a factory parts sheet, it shows the clamps but I haven’t ever seen them in restoration pictures on the forums

Im running it on mine. It helps support the exhaust and I can confirm that coupler nut has a tendency to vibrate loose.
Here it is on my XS2, before restoration,
12FDCEEE-BC67-4DA4-9674-AE59FE2E933C.jpeg B52E9D87-5570-40A3-8FC2-0B37BE5510D3.jpeg 859534E7-80C2-4FBF-A500-E55F12870F28.jpeg

And After,
4951022A-1244-44DD-88EF-C9EAA6E60C8B.jpeg

Good enough for me , they are going on on.
Did you use any anti seize?

I used anti seize on that coupler nut threads, not the mounting bolts. I didn’t catch if your entire exhaust system is new or not. But on my coupler nuts, I didn’t realize it at first, but on the inside of it, up by the “ crown part” where you hook your spanner wrench to tighten it. The inside of that nut had sharp edges that scratched my header pipe when I tightened it. I removed it and took a file to the sharp edges to remove them.

When I did my clamps I originally left off the small bracket that that connects the clamp and the mount at the head pipe. Well that clamp started to turn along with the nut. Had to put that bracket on to keep them from rotating

Back