MikesXS Coils.....Trying to help someone. Input please.

EvenmoreXS

1981 XS650
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Im trying to point someone in the right direction but this has come up as a possible issue. He is wanting to replace his coil and I advised to start with the stock replacement for cost reasons. When I got mine it came with this pamco kit I ordered....

https://www.mikesxs.net/product/14-0902.html

You could buy the coil separatly then, but now all the coil info has been removed from the website and it doesnt specify which coil comes with the kit.

What part # is the coil that comes with the kit?

https://www.mikesxs.net/product/17-6822.html

This is the only coil I can find on the site now that looks like the stock replacement...NOT upgraded high output..... But Im not certain its the right part.

Anyone who knows, please chime in so we can get this gentleman the correct part.

Thanks Everyone.

Again, looking for the original coil replacement.

I got rid of mine too or I would have given it to the guy Im trying to help. He's Kingpaul. He's on this site. He's having trouble getting his bike running and he was asking about which coil would be best. Of course, the cheapest option should be the start. Im still running the NEW stock replacement coil and I've been satisfied with it but I cant seem to find it now. Why would Mikes go in and remove all the coil info from all of the kits they sell coils with? All the other parts in the kits have part #s but the coil.

Hey everyone,

Im trying to point someone in the right direction but this has come up as a possible issue. He is wanting to replace his coil and I advised to start with the stock replacement for cost reasons. When I got mine it came with this pamco kit I ordered....

https://www.mikesxs.net/product/14-0902.html

You could buy the coil separatly then, but now all the coil info has been removed from the website and it doesnt specify which coil comes with the kit.

What part # is the coil that comes with the kit?

There is still a reference to the PAMCO kit in some of the PMA klits. If you look at the PAMCO kit it does have the coil part number. You should use a 2.5 Ohm coil for the stock TCI.

https://www.mikesxs.net/product/17-6822.html

This is the only coil I can find on the site now that looks like the stock replacement...NOT upgraded high output..... But Im not certain its the right part.

Anyone who knows, please chime in so we can get this gentleman the correct part.

Thanks Everyone.

Again, looking for the original coil replacement.

There is a reference to a PAMCO kit in most of the combined PMA / PAMCO kits, so look at the referenced PAMCO kit to get the coil part number. You should use a 2.5 Ohm coil for the stock TCI.

Here is a comprehensive list of all the PAMCO kits with the coil part number.

mikesxs kits.jpg

Note: Some pricing is not up to date. Check with MikesXS.

I have a stock 81 coil. Works fine. Is this what you need?

Yea, thats right. Its needed by Kingpaul. You could PM him with details. I've been trying to help him a bit with his problems getting his bike running. He has a new reg/rec and a good tci but cant get it started an thinks he needs a coil. I couldnt find what he needed on mikesxs so I came to the forum for help.

Thanks everyone. Lets get this guy on the road. :thumbsup:

It's not in any of the "pete's approved" kits but;

The mikesXS 17-6803 coil is a true POS and will fail in the box it came in, the 12 volt spades are held on with chewing gum or less.

THIS ONE

null-5.jpg

Yeah, pristic either was shipped the wrong coil or has the name and price wrong, but he definitely has one thing right: The coil he pictured is an absolute POS:
http://www.mikesxs.net/product/17-6803.html
It even says in the description to be careful when you pull on the terminals, but still, that coil is pathetic. I broke one. The Limey here in Austin broke one. Another mechanic I know broke one. All of ours broke just like in pristic's picture. Basically, if you breathe on those terminals they will fall out. I am not a MikesXS basher, but really, that coil is total crap. I hope everyone doesn't make the mistake I made and reads this thread and steers clear of that particular coil.
BTW, I dug into my broken coil to see if there was any way to make a solder repair, and 1): there isn't, and 2): unbelievably poor design, no wonder the terminals fall out if you so much as look at them.

gggGary,

That coil is not in any of the PAMCO kits. The kits either have the 17-6822 or the Ultimate 17-6903. The coil you are talking about is the 17-6803.

17-6822 Coil, 17-6903 Ultimate Coil
17-6822.jpg
17-6903 (1).jpg

Here is the 17-6803 coil that you are talking about and is not in any of the PAMCO kits

17-6803.jpg

Last edited:
Good Pete, just a heads up NOT to use that one.

OK. If you could just change "One of those mikes coils" to "One of mikes coils" because your post is right below my post which lists the coils in the kits from MikesXS so we don't want to confuse people. :thumbsup:

No, that text was stolen from evenmores? post in a previous thread. I'm thinking more along the line of the AZ NM border than Texas if/when I head south.

The original coil in the Petes picture shown marked with ST was a great coil and probably still is. It was also sold by 650 Central as Uncle Johnnie's Kung fu super coil for you old timers. The coil in the picture with post broke off is the New Mikes Foo You Coil unmarked no ST. A knockoff of the original. I put a kung fu on my bike soldered the wires to the post no problems over 10 years on the bike. That foo you might have melted.

Here's my personal experience with that coil. POS is too kind.....

It's not in any of the "pete's approved" kits but;

The mikesXS 17-6803 coil is a true POS and will fail in the box it came in, the 12 volt spades are held on with chewing gum or less.

THIS ONE

null-5.jpg

Yeah, pristic either was shipped the wrong coil or has the name and price wrong, but he definitely has one thing right: The coil he pictured is an absolute POS:
http://www.mikesxs.net/product/17-6803.html
It even says in the description to be careful when you pull on the terminals, but still, that coil is pathetic. I broke one. The Limey here in Austin broke one. Another mechanic I know broke one. All of ours broke just like in pristic's picture. Basically, if you breathe on those terminals they will fall out. I am not a MikesXS basher, but really, that coil is total crap. I hope everyone doesn't make the mistake I made and reads this thread and steers clear of that particular coil.
BTW, I dug into my broken coil to see if there was any way to make a solder repair, and 1): there isn't, and 2): unbelievably poor design, no wonder the terminals fall out if you so much as look at them.

Attachments

• IMAG0471.jpg
    IMAG0471.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 137
  • IMAG0472.jpg
    IMAG0472.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 134
  • IMAG0473.jpg
    IMAG0473.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 153
Looks like Kingpaul may have to buy the ultimate coil or find a used original.... Doesnt look like Mikes sells one like the original that works with the tci.

Let me know if im wrong. Or let kingpaul know.

You can usually find some dual tower Accels on fleabay for cheap, gotta watch part numbers they have 2 models with different ohms. I may swap one into the 82 TCI bike I been messing with.
I think these should be fine.

140403S.jpg

ACCEL Motorcycle - 140403S - Universal Super Coil Kit-2cyl Inductive
Ignition Coil Kit, Super Coil, 3.0 Ohms Resistance, 2-Cylinder, Inductive Ignition, Yellow,

These would most likely smoke your TCI

ACCEL Motorcycle - 140404S - Universal Super Coil Kit-2cyl CDI
Ignition Coil Kit, Super Coil, 0.7 Ohms Resistance, 2-Cylinder, CD Ignition, Yellow, Kit Learn More
They come yellow and black, you want anything with 140403 in the part number and nothing with 140404.

You can usually find some dual tower Accels on fleabay for cheap, gotta watch part numbers they have 2 models with different ohms. I may swap one into the 82 TCI bike I been messing with.
I think these should be fine.

140403S.jpg

ACCEL Motorcycle - 140403S - Universal Super Coil Kit-2cyl Inductive
Ignition Coil Kit, Super Coil, 3.0 Ohms Resistance, 2-Cylinder, Inductive Ignition, Yellow,

These would most likely smoke your TCI

ACCEL Motorcycle - 140404S - Universal Super Coil Kit-2cyl CDI
Ignition Coil Kit, Super Coil, 0.7 Ohms Resistance, 2-Cylinder, CD Ignition, Yellow, Kit Learn More
They come yellow and black, you want anything with 140403 in the part number and nothing with 140404.

Back