Mike'sXS New Special gas cap-1981 will not latch

you bought it from mikes? well theres your problem.
the rubber gasket mite be getting cought up in the latch mechanism. take it out if you can and see if it latches without it.
gasket might be too thick too.
You are aware of the risk of buying parts from mikesxs, right?

I am starting to get the picture on Mike's parts. Some good some bad....Hope they don't give me any grief on returning it! Thanks for the link,I really appreciate it.

Yeah, most parts from Mikes XS are total crap. Their shipping is over priced too!

I only order from them as a last resort...

I had a problem with using a cap from my 650 tank on a 750 tank. They apparently had the same p/n but the bar thats welded to the tank was welded in a dif location. I wound up having to drill out the spot weld and relocate the hinge on the tank. Just an idea of what might be wrong.

I bought one from mikes..it came "latched" shut in the box it was shipped in. It was for the standard tank.. I'm thinking caps for standards and specials dont swap. I have it for the xs750 tank.

Finally gave up and made one from 2 old ones I already had. I did use the rubber gasket from my new $32 cap. Kind of expensive for a rubber seal....think I am mostly done with Mike's unless I am desperate. 650 Central is the way to go...

Back