mikesxs pma

I replaced my stock alternator this spring with a PMA after the stator shorted. I have had my bike since new and in 130,000 miles had replaced brushes several times, replaced the rotor, the rectitfier, and then the stator failed. At this point I was tired of the brushes, yes they last a relatively long time but that also makes it easy to forget about them until it stops charging. I had long been looking at the PMA kits but would not have put one in if my stock system did not fail. The kit was not much more $ than the cost of a replacement stator.

I did have a battery failure once and if I had not been with some friends close to a store would have left me stranded. It suddenly went open circuit internally and with no battery the bike will not run.

BTW, I hated the stock points setup in my bike. The Boyer system (now I have 2 with the rephased engine) was one of the best mods I ever did to the bike. No more fooling around with a timing light periodically to keep it in perfect tune and the spark from it is HOT! Set it once and forget it. :D

Congrats on owning and riding an XS650 for that time and distance.:thumbsup:

That's amazing that you have only had to replace the rotor and stator once, for that amount of riding. That's a real testamonial to the high quality and durability of the stock components.

Yes, brushes are a "wear" item, similar to brake shoes/pads, tires, etc. They are just part of an annual maintenance check up, and replace as required.

Batteries fail when they get old. My last wet lead/acid battery failed after 8 years on my bike, which I consider quite good service.

I totally agree about points. They got the job done before electronic ignitons were invented, but I enjoy using a Pamco ignition. Points ignition and the ATU mechanical advance can now take their rightful position in museums.

I have seen some complain about the poor electrics on these bikes. IMO they are, or shall we say were excellent but now they are old. When I put the PMA on my bike you wouldn't believe how stiff and brittle the insulation in the stator wiring was.

For me the PMA was one more maintenance item eliminated. I have elephant foot tappets which greatly reduce adjustments, belt drive eliminating chain maintenance, a maintenance free battery and now no brushes. :)

I have seen some complain about the poor electrics on these bikes. IMO they are, or shall we say were excellent but now they are old. When I put the PMA on my bike you wouldn't believe how stiff and brittle the insulation in the stator wiring was.

For me the PMA was one more maintenance item eliminated. I have elephant foot tappets which greatly reduce adjustments, belt drive eliminating chain maintenance, a maintenance free battery and now no brushes. :)

Yes indeed, all electrical equipment gets old and will fail from time, heat, and vibration. I fully expect my stock stator and rotor to fail any day now, but I also thought that 8 years ago. I just keep using it and will replace it when it fails.:bike:

I have elephant foot tappets which greatly reduce adjustments, belt drive eliminating chain maintenance, a maintenance free battery and now no brushes. :)
is the belt drive on a hard tail? I'm seriously considering it myself for my 0 stretch build since it seems fairly cheap to do. Until I get further with my build I won't know what length of belt to use, probably 220T but then I'm not 100% sure on pulley sizes either, ball park 40T and 80T, or what my pulley centre to centre will be. care to share your figures?

is the belt drive on a hard tail? I'm seriously considering it myself for my 0 stretch build since it seems fairly cheap to do. Until I get further with my build I won't know what length of belt to use, probably 220T but then I'm not 100% sure on pulley sizes either, ball park 40T and 80T, or what my pulley centre to centre will be. care to share your figures?

No hard tail, frame and most everything you see is stock. :D

All the info you need to design a drive is on the Gates web site. Boxed in red in the pic below are the 2 combinations I have done. Originally I had 40/80 with Mikes OD gear but the gear failed so I am back to a stock trans and 40/75. With the 75 I had to do a little work on the adjusters to get the wheel back far enough.

BTW, I calculated the tensile strength requirements and the 21mm belt was not as strong as a chain so I ended up getting 36mm components and narrowed them to 30mm to fit the bike.

Attachments

• Motorcycle Workable Drive Combinations.jpg
    Motorcycle Workable Drive Combinations.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 136
Back