Mikuni TM36 Flatsides

whitey

XS650 Member
Reaction score
1483508891888.jpg
I just bought a set of Mikuni TM36 flat side carbs,having a bit of a drama fitting the cables,should I fit the cables to the carbs first then join the 2 into 1 cables on the quick action throttle or the other way around.At first I connected the cables to the carbs but couldn't join the cables, (2 into 1).Between the spring and short amount of cable I have to work with its all a bit tight.The cables are pe made so there is no soldering to do.Always happy to here anyone's point of veiw.cheers Whitey

View attachment 92888 I just bought a set of Mikuni TM36 flat side carbs,having a bit of a drama fitting the cables,should I fit the cables to the carbs first then join the 2 into 1 cables on the quick action throttle or the other way around.At first I connected the cables to the carbs but couldn't join the cables, (2 into 1).Between the spring and short amount of cable I have to work with its all a bit tight.The cables are pe made so there is no soldering to do.Always happy to here anyone's point of veiw.cheers Whitey
Is that 2 /1` cable made to work with flatsides? The cable needs to be installed with spring to the slide. Even with single cables,they're a bear to install. With the flow capacity of the flats,I hope you addressed the head to increase it's flow capacity.

Is that 2 /1` cable made to work with flatsides? The cable needs to be installed with spring to the slide. Even with single cables,they're a bear to install. With the flow capacity of the flats,I hope you addressed the head to increase it's flow capacity.

8, member: 301"]Is that 2 /1` cable made to work with flatsides? The cable needs to be installed with spring to the slide. Even with single cables,they're a bear to install. With the flow capacity of the flats,I hope you addressed the head to increase it's flow capacity.[/QUOTE]
Jack thanks for the reply,yeah mate the head is done,750 barrels rephase crank,so all going well it will work ok.The cables were fine,it was just me trying to fit them,your right it is a bugger of a job fitting them.Thanks for your input cheers Whitey

After you get the flats dialed in,you'll be addicted to cracking the throttle wide opening all the time. Other than the RS series or Keihin flat , no other carb hits as hard nor delivers a smoother broader power band. Enjoy!

Howdy, Jack! Hope you'll forgive me for butting in with a clarification, but we don't want to confuse the children. Kids, by "Keihin flat" Jack does not mean a 28 mm. PWK 2-stroke carb bored out to 32 mm., he means the very trick FCR 4-stroke pumper carburetor. You'd wind up paying around a grand for a pair of new FCRs before you're through fitting and tuning if you do the work yourself and well north of that if you don't, but you get a lot for the money--throttle shafts mounted on needle bearings, slides that ride on nylon rollers, precise metering, beautiful fit and finish. They represent the last step in carburetor evolution before the advent of EFI froze it forever.

Besides your RS set up Griz a member posted a shot of his XS with beautifully mounted FCR's. Looks and performance was a factor and not cost.

After you get the flats dialed in,you'll be addicted to cracking the throttle wide opening all the time. Other than the RS series or Keihin flat , no other carb hits as hard nor delivers a smoother broader power band. Enjoy!
Thanks Jack,Looking forward to it!!

Oh yeah, Jack, the FCRs are as fine as it gets on all counts, they make my Mikuni pumpers look crude. I thought about them, drooled a little, but couldn't justify the outlay to myself. BTW folks, in Mikuni talk "RS" means Radial Smoothbore, NOT Round Slide. Mikuni applies that label only to its complete sets of 4-stroke only flat slide pumper carburetors for 4-cylinder race bikes, but the radial smoothbore design is also used in single carburetors with other designations (the TM36/68 that we can get on this side of the pond and a similar 34 mm. carb that the bean counters at Mikuni America don't import, and several flat slide pumpers for Hardly Ablesons). I banked a pair of TM36/68's together. A couple of members have gotten hold of RS34's, scavenged 2 carbs out of the bank of 4, and spaced them for the XS650's 120 mm. center-to-center intake. Neither job is as easy as it sounds.

Back