Mikuni vm38

SpaghettiOs

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any idea where to start with the needle jet and the others running a 2 into 1 manifold and straight pipes with pod filter. Currently the carb has a 247 Q-2 needle jet and a 6DH7 needle which I think is rather extreme (right?) the air jet is out and it has a 180 main and a 22.5 pilot. Bike starts right up but there is a slight smoke at idle and if you crank the throttle a poof of black so I'm thinking its dumping too much gas in because the needle jet is huge... of course I very well could be completely wrong! Thanks!:banghead:

Dude ,
Dont you think vm 38's are a tad bit big...vm34 are more than enough...even for a rather modified motor...but then again what do i know..seriously not much

Honestly I thought the same thing, but I had it so I wanted to try. It runs on the rich side but with nothing being done to the engine itself she goes like a bat out of hell. There is no issue with lack of low or high end speed I'd just like to make is so she doesn't smoke at all.

SpaghettiO's...i tried to edit my post but dunno what happened..one vm38 might work i couldnt say for sure...if they're snowmobile carbs..put em back on craigslist or kijiji and look for a set of 34's...or just buy a set from one the companies doing xs650 specific carbs...:shrug:
Running rich is definately bad for yer rings and just about everthing else from the exjaust valves back

the carb is off a 750 and its just the one. It seems like it would be fine with the right jetting but I can't find anyone that can point me in the right direction. It doesn't run all that bad, if it did I would say junk it too. I think its just a matter of finding the right formula. At least I hope.

Trying to read this on my tiny phone in the sun so I may have missed it but did you say the needle size and needle jet size? Thinking that's my issue, it's a 247 Q-2 with a 6DH7 needle... I can get flames out of my exhaust, cool and all but horrible for the paint!

i RAN A WISEGUY 2-1 intake with a vm36 I ran a 22.5 pilot, 190 main, needle 6f9, and needle jet 159,p-8. I can't remember what slide 2.5 I think mix screw out one full turn. set needle circlip in middle ring. should get you in the ball park ( ran very well

Back