mild american chopper plunger build

neanderthal

neanderthal
Reaction score
hey guys, ive been slowly working on my second xs build. ive started a motor stand as well. itll be my first engine re-build, so ill need lots of help with that. the stand doubles to help me with my welding as i only have very few hours under me. ill post some pictures and go from there. any input or ideas are greatly welcomed.

full

full

as you can see my welds need work.
full

full

full

full

full

here's a plunger frame i found on craigslist a while back. never could find out who made it. no papers, but it does have numbers stamped on the neck. i like it better then the amen frames.
full

and then just the other day i found this 70's butts manufacturing springer front end. its 6 over and has some cool pieces to it. not sure if like the rockers though. might look for something else to replace those.

full

full

also found a mini drum to go with the springer!
full

full

and finally up to date. the mock up.
full

full

full

i guess now is finding the right races and bearing for this to work out for me. and then getting some tires and spokes for the rims. id like to have a clean chrome wheels. going for a mild american chopper or at least thats what id like to call it. {dont think red white and blue:thumbsup:}

Your welds look real good to me. I've been welding for 5 years now and still don't look that good.:laugh:

Love that plunger frame, not so much on the springer. I think a girder would be a better look. JMO.:bike:

Have fun with your build.

Jake, quite a project you got there. Strange springer layout, is the front axle supposed to go between the springer rods? Will the front springer rods fit in the middle position, and be parallel with the rear? Never worked with a plunger before, how does the brakestay work on those?

The axle holes on the springer look to be much closer to the front rods than the rear so it will work. Looks like it was designed that way which is cool.

Also looks like the frame was designed for a longer front end - it seems to be sitting fairly level in the mockup. I'd also think the brake stay should be fine. The stay mounts with a single bolt on each end and as long as it can pivot, the brake plate should just rotate a tiny bit as the rear wheel travels up and down. My grade 10 physics tells me way in the back of my mind that a longer stay will result in less movement.

Hey Im pretty sure the axle goes in the front most hole on the rockers, otherwise there will be no pivot...... My rockers look kind of similar...

Attachments

• sittin pretty.jpg
    sittin pretty.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 289
Yes, that is set up wrong. The axle goes through the front holes. Otherwise it will not work. Do not run it like that.

I realize this is not an xs but it is a 16 over butts springer just so you have a visual.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1373549536146.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373549536146.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 506
Looking at it again, I agree with the others that it isn't put together properly, only because it is suggested in one of the photos that the front legs are not parallel to the back stationary legs, indicating they should be in the middle hole of the rocker.

But - there's nothing that would prevent a springer from being designed like that. Fundamentally the rocker is fixed on one end, and therefore would provide travel up and down for the wheel regardless of where the axle hole is.

The only thing that would change is the mechanical advantage of the lever as well as the amount of travel required in the springs. This could be accommodated by lighter springs etc.

But, again, none of us has seen a springer designed like that regardless of the fact one could be, and the front legs do in fact appear to be further out at the bottom than the top.

Your welds look real good to me. I've been welding for 5 years now and still don't look that good.:laugh:

Love that plunger frame, not so much on the springer. I think a girder would be a better look. JMO.:bike:

Thanks Ben! i understand the girder and plunger combo, i just think that springers look so much better. I wanted to go with a leafer, but just dont have the talent to pull it off....hmm you could build me a kit or send me your front end. i would paying greatly for your time:D:thumbsup::thumbsup: did you buy that tree kit off ebay or were you the one selling them?

Jake, quite a project you got there. Strange springer layout, is the front axle supposed to go between the springer rods? Will the front springer rods fit in the middle position, and be parallel with the rear? Never worked with a plunger before, how does the brakestay work on those?

it is quite the project, thats why you geniuses are here:thumbsup::laugh: ill check out the springer. thanks to everyone pointing that out, i thought it looked a little off. hopefully itll all swap fine, that is the original axle so i hope the holes are all the same.
and the brake stay works just like any other stay. there is really on about an inch or so play in the springs. ill post pictures of it later tonight.

Thanks Ben! i understand the girder and plunger combo, i just think that springers look so much better. I wanted to go with a leafer, but just dont have the talent to pull it off....hmm you could build me a kit or send me your front end. i would paying greatly for your time did you buy that tree kit off ebay or were you the one selling them?

Witch tree do you refer to? I cut the trees out for the leafer I built on my '23' build. Same with my girder on my chopper. In both cases, I used plans from the Chopper Builders Handbook.

oh never mind, the lower looked like one i saw on ebay. maybe i should try and build one..its just that i cant start a build unless i know my front end. i tried having a guy build me one, it went from 800 which i was ok with to 1500. i backed out after i saw his part list...i was also paying for his fleet of five. i just got burnt and backed out. i can get a powder coated and chrome kiwi leafer for 1500.

so heres the rockers guys, cant really tell, but on hole is smaller while the other two are the same size, with three different sized bushings.
full

so only two holes would work for the axle, an outside and the middle if bushing were swapped.
full

full

they just dont line up and the forks are closer together that way. with the way it was before the forks are straight. it must have been the photo angle. but it seems right. i think that itll move around and maybe it already has softer springs do to the design. i dont know what do you guys think?
full

HEY ON A SIDE NOTE GARRRY YOU FIXED MY PHOTOS!!! and here i thought it just took time..show what i know about computers. THANKS, YOUR THE MAN!

axle needs to be in front so the springer pivots.... new rockers...get ones with greasable bushed trunions.... mine rides soo smooth!!

ok well i guess ill just have to do that. thanks itrguy. do you think that maybe the rockers are not stock to the springer? age and wear theyre about on par with each other, the axle shares the same goofy nuts as the springer. i dont know? this is honestly making me want to try and build a leafer haha.

mind over matter, “Relax. What is mind? No matter. What is matter? Never mind!” -h. simpson

You have your rocker on upside down.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1373598005842.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373598005842.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 263
Back