Mini tach and speedo wiring

Guss80special

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
1CD43A7F-EFF8-4FCB-9B6A-E3215E08825D.jpeg 5A1E9037-0AA9-4E35-9B11-96228A94BD9E.jpeg BDB2A36B-5969-4D7E-9B7E-6BE8EBF805FC.jpeg 3F440C45-CB38-4F73-B939-BD035EFD3F1C.jpeg 5716C42B-64F1-4330-93B4-B1379A9A5ADB.jpeg Hi. So I’m trying to wire up the mini tach and speedo I got from xs650direct. I bought matching terminal connectors so I could easily swap btw the stock gauges whenever I want and not damage my harness. I have a spare harness that I have not used yet, which made it a bit easier to sort out in the house first.

The mini tach has only 2 wires for back lights (red and black) stock has 3 (back lights and high beam indicator)

The mini speedo has 10
2 for blinkers
2 for oil, which I plan to use for the headlight fail indicator
2 for neutral
2 for back light (meter light)
2 for hi beam
It has all the lights from stock pilot box, speedo and tach high beam indicator.

I think I got it mostly figured out thanks to some other great posts, except for the high beam ground wire on the new mini speedo. I have both Haynes and clymer wiring diagrams. Clymer has the black ground for the high beam indicator connecting somehow to the 6 space Pilot box terminal connector block. That is not possible. See pic #3. Haynes is a bit more logical in that it shows blue, black and yellow coming out of the tach and connecting to the harness via 3 spot connector. Haynes also shows the black ground for the high beam indicator light connected to the black meter light wire. Presumably inside the tach housing, hence only 3 wires coming out not 4. At least that’s what I think it’s doing.

So what should I do with the blue/black ground wire on my new speedo (hi beam indicator) ??

I’m thinking I need to splice it to the mini tach meter light black ground wire?

Also. I’m obviously removing the ‘reed’ switch, is there anything I have to consider in that regard?

Thanks for any advice :)
See pics.

You can gang the speedo hi beam and back light grounds together with a female spade and plug it into the existing speedo connector. You may want to replace the harness tach connector with bullet connectors. If you work with the existing connector both the tach and speedo will be connected to it making connecting and routing difficult.

Last edited:
Thank you! Good advice. I’ve already attached those really small female spades to all my new wires. If it becomes a hassle to route them, like you said, or if I made dodgy connections, then I’ll go with bullet connectors. I like those. I bought a bunch :) cheers

Thats interesting. Never thought of that. Because the new speedo actually has the high beam wire now. And the new tach only needs back lighting. So why not switch them eh....

I’ll have to lay it out in front of me and see tonight after work, but that should eliminate attaching the two units together and fussing about with routing.

Very clever!! Thank you. :) I’ll try it.

Thank you

Ok. I think it’s going to work well. But I won’t know about the back lights and high beam untill it warms up outside and I can fire up the bike.

Good news and bad. The neutral light indicator works great as well as the signal indicator for the right signals. Does not light up when left signals are on though. I must have a wire connection issue.

34691A96-EF0F-4789-81FD-920B37EBD2A9.png
I double checked the yellow and yellow/black connectors and they are good. As is the stock pilot turn light indicator - works fine with right or left signals. So my harness is fine.

However. I think maybe instead of wiring harness chocolate to speedo yellow/black (neg) and harness dark green to speedo yellow (pos).... Perhaps I need to wire both chocolate and dark green to the speedo yellow positive and ground the yellow/black speedo wire elsewhere???? I’ll try that tomorrow.

The stock indicator light doesn’t have a ground, or isn’t specifically show in any diagram I have. Maybe wired up to the common black ground coming out of the pilot box (turn, neutral and headlight fail lights)? . But the mini speedo does. I’m sure you can tell that I have very little electronics knowledge lol.

And I broke my 38 year old harness pilot box connector block while troubleshooting. So it looks like I’ll be going to bullet connectors after all. At least for the pilot box connections.

Here’s a great diagram that I found in the tech section from skull I believe. :) the colour coding makes it really easy to follow.

The stock indicators are incandescent which allows for current to flow in either direction. The new speedo lights are leds which only allows current to run on one direction. (if I am wrong about the preceding info someone will correct me!)

Your idea - run both chocolate and dark green to the speedo yellow positive and ground the yellow/black speedo wire - will light up the speedo indicator but will also light up the turn signals opposite to the one that you turned on. You will need a diode harness to prevent the current from going to the opposite turn signals. You can gang the indicator turn wire (Y/B) with the Oil (or in your case headlight failure) light's ground (R/B) together in one bullet.

Hmm. Interesting. Thank you.

I’m wondering why I bought this mini speedo now if its not going to work the same as the stock. :( buyer beware I suppose. Could explain why there isn’t a definitive “guide” on the forum - needs mods and creativity to make it work.

I’ll keep plugging away. Thanks for your help peterg :)

Cheers.

Holy cow guys - an all-Canadian thread!

Sort of amazing....or scary.

...Maybe....we're taking over - just like we did in Hollywood! I don't know - could be, we'll have to see....believe me on that...
(ooopps - no politics...my bad - trust me.:sneaky:)

Sincerely,

The "Eh" Team

Raymond_Burr.jpg James Doohan (Scotty).jpg Jim_Carrey.jpg William_Shatner.jpg Pamela_Anderson.jpg Margot_Kidder.jpg John_Candy.png Dan_Ackroyd.jpg CNN_John_Roberts.jpg Christopher_Plummer.jpg Lorne_Greene.jpg

Last edited:
If you go to Radio Shack in Calgary, buy a package of these rectifier diodes. Solder one into each positive line from the signal lights going into the speedo, the winker will work fine. I use the same speedo. If you were in Edmonton I would give you two.

Attachments

• IMG_2747.JPG
    IMG_2747.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_2748.JPG
    IMG_2748.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 161
C6B39DD9-D15C-4D2C-ABC5-CF275CA60B5E.jpeg 737197D8-627A-4744-B40F-7CD4B5F0E17A.jpeg Tada... the diodes worked perfectly for the signal indicator. Thank you!!

Having broken my harness plastic connector turned out to be great for troubleshooting connections.

So to recap:
Speedo: Harness:
yellow to 2 diodes -> Dg and Ch (signals)
Green. -> brown (neutral)
Green/black. -> sky blue
Y/b & R/b -> black
Red. -> green

hope you didn’t eat all your popcorn before the show started MaxPete?? :)

THIS is great info Guss.

I guess I just have one (rhetorical) question: if these diodes are essential, why doesn’t the instrument come with them installed?

Back