Mini tach and speedo wiring

THIS is great info Guss.

I guess I just have one (rhetorical) question: if these diodes are essential, why doesn’t the instrument come with them
installed?

Question is, did you check to see if the instrument was already wired with diodes? Perhaps double diodes now?
LED or not, one indicator light needs two inputs and two diodes.

Scott

I'm guessing that the switch grounds the turn signal circuit opposite to the one that is switched on. This includes the stock indicator. When the left turn is on the indicator lights Ch coloured wire is positive and the Dg coloured wire is grounded and vis versa. This works with an incandescent bulb. Since the new indicator is LED this arrangement won't work since the LED circuit can only work in one direction. Guss needed to rewire the circuit to make the LED work. Hence the need for the diodes.

Nope. I never tried hooking both right and left pos wires to the yellow wire without diodes. All the threads and valuable input from forum folks pointed to diodes. I could do a test this weekend though and see :) I have some time tomorrow and I’m getting really good at crimping those tiny 22 gauge wires :)

Cheers.

3423C73D-0DEB-4FDF-8D45-3A4844A16C6E.jpeg 2E4F4108-B841-4D1D-908C-8F41334AC012.jpeg

Ok. Peterg’s Info is definitely correct. For kicks I jumpered the dg and ch wires with two red temps directly to the yellow pos speedo wire bypassing the two diodes. Turned on the signal.... And just like he described, all signals came on. The 2 Diodes are definitely required :) - unless you want hazard lights ;)

I also experimented with using the oil light indicator as a signal light. Worked great by putting one diode to the dg and leaving the other diode hanging. And then red speedo wire to ch. Its cool, but I like the single indicator for both right and left though so that’s what I’m going with.

I got it all mounted and was able to reuse my 6 block connector with a bit of fidgeting and electrical tape. Also wrapped the wires and diodes neatly with tape to try and prevent bends etc... those diodes are tiny. I hope my solder and crimp holds for a season or two. If not, then I think bullet connections are in order.

That was fun!!! Thanks again for all the help guys :)

Do I dare start ‘er up today? Only 4 degrees on Calgary.

Last edited:
3EF9605F-39A4-40AB-B248-F1D1BDE31276.jpeg C4192980-C83A-488E-B2EF-6F8A9DFD977C.jpeg C684D46A-C159-454D-8CD3-4345F073603B.jpeg 42844E88-1121-497A-82A4-CD2A7FE44EB2.jpeg Cool. Thanks Peterg.

Fired it up!!! All lights working including oil. Except oil light probably should not be on all the time (hooked to harness head light fail wires (green and black)). But maybe my stock pilot light was burned out. Dunno. Or maybe it’s always on? Can’t remember, it’s been months since I ran it. I let it idle for 5-6 min. Too much snow for anything else.

I true to snap a photo with blinkers going as well. For fun.

High beam and back lights work just fine however, me trying to save $30, I bought the non-led tach and now realize the back light is white vs. the speedo led back light which is kinda blueish. Doh!

Anyone want to buy my mini tach??? I’ll be getting the led one. :)

You probably don't want to go back into the wiring but it would be a good idea to stick a resistor in the wire to the high beam LED since it is objectionably bright at night. Well, it used to be before all the indicator LEDs vibrated out and took up residence deep inside the speedo housing. :doh:

Just another gripe/rant about these speedometers. I can get a KPH speedometer for about $12, the same MPH speedometers cost 5 times that. Why can't these things be marked for both MPH and KPH? The two grounds are supposed to be - one ground for neutral indicator and one ground for everything else, but that's NOT how they are actually wired. Any fool could step in at the assembly of these things and make them a better/usable product.

Scott

ya. I agree. I find a lot of great looking stuff on line, but when I get it I’m often disappointed with the quality.
Cheers

Bummer. I take it the mini speedo housing is not easy to dismantle? To re position the fallen leds??
Never checked yet, but I'm guessing no. Frankly, I'm not too impressed with these instruments. They look nice, but the tach never seems to climb above 5000 rpm. Not sure if the vibes are responsible or not. That and the aforementioned LEDs falling out. They look nice though. I'd probably pick up a nice set of stock gauges if i could find some. I have found some older units locally, but I'm not sure if they would work with my 83.

View attachment 114863 View attachment 114862 View attachment 114861 View attachment 114860 Cool. Thanks Peterg.

Fired it up!!! All lights working including oil. Except oil light probably should not be on all the time (hooked to harness head light fail wires (green and black)). But maybe my stock pilot light was burned out. Dunno. Or maybe it’s always on? Can’t remember, it’s been months since I ran it. I let it idle for 5-6 min. Too much snow for anything else.

I true to snap a photo with blinkers going as well. For fun.

High beam and back lights work just fine however, me trying to save $30, I bought the non-led tach and now realize the back light is white vs. the speedo led back light which is kinda blueish. Doh!

Anyone want to buy my mini tach??? I’ll be getting the led one. :)

Guss80special were you ever able to get the oil light (brake failure lamp) sorted out so it wasn’t on all the time? I’m having the exact same problem and it’s driving me nuts. I just want it to light up when the brake is applied or if the brake light blows out (as the original lamp was intended to). Thanks.

Guss80special were you ever able to get the oil light (brake failure lamp) sorted out so it wasn’t on all the time? I’m having the exact same problem and it’s driving me nuts. I just want it to light up when the brake is applied or if the brake light blows out (as the original lamp was intended to). Thanks.

hello!! I sold my xs in the summer of 2018. I sure miss it though ;) There’s a lot of very smart and helpful people on this forum!!

Sorry no.. I never got the headlight fail thing wired up so believe I just unplugged the oil wires so the Light wouldn’t bug me. Good luck!!

Back