Minimum wiring needed?

Kups650

wally
Reaction score
So, I have a 77 XS650 and it will be a little while before i get around to modifying anything. The bike is already nicely modified but needs to be finished.

I noticed that my buddy has a tach, speedo, headlight and tailight. i am wondering what is the minimum wiring you can get away with on these? I am not up on what else is electronic on this bike is why i ask.

I don't really need a tach, so i guess its really just ignition and lighting?

I ask because I notice a good bit of wiring up near the headtube and am hoping to make this bike fairly minimal. Id like to keep a speedo, but i may hide it somewhere a little better than on top the bars, it has 2 Mikes white faced gauges.

thanks!:bike:

Oh yeah, this the bike that I inherited from my late friend, if that clears up the "my buddy comment"

Im sort of starting from scratch.

The speedo and tach are cable driven. So no electric there except if it's got an illuminated face, which is only a couple wires. Most all the wiring is in the headlight bucket, around the neck.
In the "tech" section under electrics, there is a thread with a bunch of wiring diagrams entitled, "Some wiring diagrams". Take a look at them.
You have to have wiring from the battery/charging system/ignition in order for it to run. The lights, signals, horn, ect are not hard to delete or wire in. Just need to make sure you have fuses and switches. By law you have to have lights, signals, horn, and brake lights. Many delete everything but the head/tail/brake lights.
In my opinion that's not a good idea. Too many idiots on the road. And if you get in an accident, and do not have proper lights, signals, ect, then it's your fault.

In the XS650 TECH section you will find a thread on electrical diagrams. Study the stock diagram and a simplified one. You will see just what can be deleted from stock to simplified.
On rewiring a bike I like this diagram. It shows the early system with points and seperate reg and rec. It has the TCI and combo reg/rec in boxes. Just swap boxes to match what you have.
Shows how to wire in the starter to.
Leo

Attachments

• 314w9s3.jpg
    314w9s3.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 623
Back