minor oil leak

gravelman

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
hi guys joe here i have a question to ask.u know ur sump filter cover if ur looking at it from under the bike from the throttle side there is a half rounf kinda casting which look like it had a plug in it a round looking out fit and iam getting a small leak from there has any one had an issue with this and is a plug got me baffled thanks joe i hope i described it ok

On the sump plate, there is oil passages drilled through the plate. As you can't drill around corners they drill two passages and block the extra openings with plugs.
If you have a leaky plug, clean well and give it a coat of JB Weld, or any epoxy you prefer, Just don't use any quick set epoxies, they don't handle heat as well as regular epoxies.
First I would clean the sump plate very well and be sure the oil is leaking from the plug or the gasket.
I can't say I have heard of the plug leaking, more apt to be the gasket.
Leo

hi leo thanks for ur input i checked the gasket then removed it cleaned till it was perfect put new gasket in and a light skim of dribond on it ran the bike and it just weeps on the outer edge of the orfice wher u can just see the inpresshion so this fix u suggested is to be done on the out side of the plug not the inside thanks again joe

hi guys found the problem after looking at it much closer i noticed a small chunk of the casting near the corner of the plug was shipped out and found some kind of yellow subtance lol looks like it had a previous repair .think i will just look for a new cover thanks for ur help joe

Should be able to find one on Ebay, I have seen them there before.
Leo

Back