Miss November XS2 tribute

Last couple of days, sorting and tidying rear light with the nice big round XS2 lens.

PICT0800.JPG

When you move away from stock, just seems there's always issues. One issue - because the round lens is so deep, the retaining screws are barely long enough, and because of the vast distance twixt screw head and the tip, it's almost bloody impossible to engage the screws with the threaded holes in the backplate. After some thought, the solution was to buy some M4 spacers. I remember ones like this holding the timing plate on the Triumph TR6 - see photo below, three are now inside the rear light. And with suitably cut-down screws, it's now easy-peasy to remove and refit the plastic lens.

PICT0802.JPG

Second issue - the whole light fitting has become loose and wobbly. Took it apart and found the backplate is so flimsy, the threaded holes for the two mounting bolts are starting to pull through, if you know what I mean, so just tightening the bolts is not going to work. After some more thought, the solution has been to fit two nuts to the outside* of the backplate with JP Weld - gives a much better fitting for the mounting bolts. But means those bolts bottom out too early, before the light unit is snug. After a lot of trying different things, used two plain bolts instead of originals with phat shanks. And to make the skinny new bolts themselves nice and snug in the rubber spacers, cut some short sections of pipe - the untidy bit in the photo is a left-over bit.

*No room to fit them inside due to the reflector plate.

The bolts now tighten up, but the whole unit is further back because of the new nuts. So cut some bits of old inner tube to take up the gap.

PICT0801.JPG

We got there eventually, so that's a win.

Was this all because the square light is ugly? I especially dislike square headlights. Ugly.
I agree on the ugliness of square headlights.

But no, didn't remove the rectangular light because of that. It was an impulsive decision last year to push the XS2 theme just a little bit further. And since it's been there, have grown to like the look.

I remember ones like this holding the timing plate on the Triumph TR6 - see photo below, three are now inside the rear light. And with suitably cut-down screws, it's now easy-peasy to remove and refit the plastic lens.
Simple, elegant solution Raymond. Do a happy dance...
happay.gif

Last day of September, the old girl still in almost daily use. Chilly morning, no frost yet though. Just back from a shopping trip - main road to Galashiels and back home by the wee lanes through woodland, up and down hills, fields with sheep and horses, past cottages and farm houses. Used to walk, run, cycle the same lanes as a boy.

PICT0812.JPG

Cannot express how much I enjoyed the run. Find myself making favourable comparisons to the Triumph TR6 I sold a few years back.

That bike was nigh perfect, the classic gentleman's motorcycle, light, low, easy torque, not fast but fast enough on rural roads, good handling for gentle bend swinging, and always a lovely soundtrack. Sold it when one day finally fed up with continual oil leaks and occasional wet sumping . . .

The XS ticks those boxes as well. Engine is slightly more frenetic and you're more aware of the busy work going on inside to give that easy power. But still definitely old school. Would prefer the foot-pegs maybe an inch or three further back. Hell, would prefer wire-spoked wheels, not that it makes much difference when you're on board enjoying the bike.

Love having an old classic bike that does the same job as the Trumpet, but without the oil leaks of course.

I know I ought to find out why the starter motor don't work and fix it. But it's great to just jump on, kick the engine into life and set off to ride a proper motorbike.

Last day of September, the old girl still in almost daily use. Chilly morning, no frost yet though. Just back from a shopping trip - main road to Galashiels and back home by the wee lanes through woodland, up and down hills, fields with sheep and horses, past cottages and farm houses. Used to walk, run, cycle the same lanes as a boy.

View attachment 252312

Cannot express how much I enjoyed the run. Find myself making favourable comparisons to the Triumph TR6 I sold a few years back.

That bike was nigh perfect, the classic gentleman's motorcycle, light, low, easy torque, not fast but fast enough on rural roads, good handling for gentle bend swinging, and always a lovely soundtrack. Sold it when one day finally fed up with continual oil leaks and occasional wet sumping . . .

The XS ticks those boxes as well. Engine is slightly more frenetic and you're more aware of the busy work going on inside to give that easy power. But still definitely old school. Would prefer the foot-pegs maybe an inch or three further back. Hell, would prefer wire-spoked wheels, not that it makes much difference when you're on board enjoying the bike.

Love having an old classic bike that does the same job as the Trumpet, but without the oil leaks of course.

I know I ought to find out why the starter motor don't work and fix it. But it's great to just jump on, kick the engine into life and set off to ride a proper motorbike.
You paint a lovely picture with your words Raymond, or as Slim Pickins said in "Blazing Saddles", "You use your tongue purtyer than a twenty dollar whore"".

Cooler today but no frosts yet. This morning, just a trip to the shop in Galashiels but thought I'd put up a picture - after all, the Orange Peril makes so many visits here.

PICT0816.JPG

Just a boring supermarket carpark.

Came back to the bike and there was a bloke having a good look. Saw me coming and I got the usual 'Just looking at your bike, a real classic, love the colour'. Brief conversation follows, he doesn't have a bike now but used to have a Yamaha something or other, would love to have a bike but no ready answer to 'Why don't you just buy one then?' as I kick Miss November into life and treat him to the merry burble of an XS650 heading out.

Last edited:
Last hurrah? Hope not, but it's that time of year when opportunities to go out are less plentiful.

But we've had so much rain this past few days, and with Storm Ciaran expected soon, decided to take advantage of a dry day and pull the Orange Peril out for a run. Only went to Gala plus a ride home along a few small lanes.

PICT0850.JPGPICT0851.JPG

The roads are so filthy. After all the rain, lots of streams running across bringing gravel and mud, plus the muck the farmers spread, wet leaves everywhere, and the ominous white powdery look on a few dry patches of main road.

Most of the salt has hopefully been washed away, but gave Missy a quick once over with bucket of warm water, brush and a cloth before pushing her back inside. What me dear departed Mum used to call 'a lick and a promise'.

'Nother snatched outing. Mild and wet the last few days but a lot cooler today. Missy has been enjoying the comfort of the garage for, well, it must be a few weeks now. Certainly not been out in December. Even as I was pulling her out and preparing to Start the Engine, the rain was starting. Again. But WTH.

PICT0898.JPG

Used the mixture enrichener, prodded the kick lever to find compression, and she fired on the second proper kick. Immediately put the enrichener off and kept her running with a little bit of throttle. After, perhaps, a good long minute, left the bike idling and fetched helmet and gloves.

Headed up through the village, and the rain was getting worse up towards Bowden, so looped around and did a circuit of the by-pass instead.

Only about four or five miles but felt great. The engine by now settled down nicely, pulls nice wiv a bit of throttle, the lights work, ditto turn signals, all five gears, clutch feels nice. Funny how that first little ride after the bike has been laid up always turns into a mini road test?

Not quite keeping the bike in use over the Winter but hey, that'll do for today.

Forecast is for colder conditions, snow possible, Christmas nearly on us, Winter usually gets properly started after that.

But that felt good.

'Nother snatched outing. Mild and wet the last few days but a lot cooler today. Missy has been enjoying the comfort of the garage for, well, it must be a few weeks now. Certainly not been out in December. Even as I was pulling her out and preparing to Start the Engine, the rain was starting. Again. But WTH.

View attachment 257822

Used the mixture enrichener, prodded the kick lever to find compression, and she fired on the second proper kick. Immediately put the enrichener off and kept her running with a little bit of throttle. After, perhaps, a good long minute, left the bike idling and fetched helmet and gloves.

Headed up through the village, and the rain was getting worse up towards Bowden, so looped around and did a circuit of the by-pass instead.

Only about four or five miles but felt great. The engine by now settled down nicely, pulls nice wiv a bit of throttle, the lights work, ditto turn signals, all five gears, clutch feels nice. Funny how that first little ride after the bike has been laid up always turns into a mini road test?

Not quite keeping the bike in use over the Winter but hey, that'll do for today.

Forecast is for colder conditions, snow possible, Christmas nearly on us, Winter usually gets properly started after that.

But that felt good.

Very nice Raymond!

I got out on Betty ('green '78E) on Saturday-last and went to a nearby diner for a nice breakfast. It was a cool +4C (about 39 deg. F) but it felt good as she purred along the road at between 80 and 100 km/hr.

She started immediately as always (I do not know what I did to deserve such perfect carburettors) and several people stopped to look at her in the parking lot at the diner.

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited:
Yesterday was Polly's turn - W800. Today, Miss November's turn.

PICT0931.JPG

First time out since 19th December but, allowing one kick to get some fuel into the carbs, she started next kick. Very happy with that. Less happy when the Orange Peril stopped running as I approached the turn off for the village on the way home - had to push the flaming thing the rest of the way across the main road, switch off then on, then a few kicks before the engine consented to start up again.

Yesterday was Polly's turn - W800. Today, Miss November's turn.

View attachment 260652

First time out since 19th December but, allowing one kick to get some fuel into the carbs, she started next kick. Very happy with that. Less happy when the Orange Peril stopped running as I approached the turn off for the village on the way home - had to push the flaming thing the rest of the way across the main road, switch off then on, then a few kicks before the engine consented to start up again.
That’s killing your trust and enjoyment of the bike. No good. What ignition are you running? I’m assuming you replaced the points with an aftermarket ignition. If that’s the case, my suspicion takes me there.

Running Boyer Bransden - which was on the bike already. I have run BB on quite a few bikes without any problems. Kawasaki Z1, 1974 Commando, 1970 Triumph TR6, maybe another one or two.

What I suspect happening is this : BB has a feature, to prevent damage to the unit, shuts down if it detects low voltage. There might be/must be some glitch which causes the BB to shut down. To reset, need to switch off then on.

Last time the engine shut down, was running down a slope in the village at about 25mph in probably third gear, felt the engine stop - its happened a few times so I recognise the feeling - so quick-thinking (!) turned the key OFF-ON and the engine immediately picked up again. That seems to confirm the hypothesis.

Me and mate Elliot was discussing this and he suggested that a dicky connection in the ignition-coil-Boyer box wiring would be enough to cause said glitch. But it always seems to happen when I back off after having been going quick.

Have looked at the wiring and not spotted anything dodgy. Thinking it might be an idea to fit a voltmeter. Elliot pointed out that won't help if just a quick glitch is enough to upset the BB box. But, well you know, it might be that charging breaks down when the bike is hot, a volt meter is useful anyway, and I'm grasping at straws.

The good news - thank goodness, it has always re-started after a few kicks.

But deffo a good enough reason to sort the starter . . .

The Boyer is mounted on the cylinder head. That’s really hot up there. My cousin had Boyer on his Norton for about 40 years. I know it’s good stuff, but on the Norton or Triumph it’s not mounted on the head.

I’ve been wondering about these units.
https://www.elektronik-sachse.de/shopsystem-3/en/digital-ignition-zdg-3-23-for-yamaha-xs650.html
Maybe it’s more robust (or not). I have seen nothing on the forums from anyone running it.

Raymond, I hope you are able to solve this without too much frustration and/or expense.

Running Boyer Bransden - which was on the bike already. I have run BB on quite a few bikes without any problems. Kawasaki Z1, 1974 Commando, 1970 Triumph TR6, maybe another one or two.

What I suspect happening is this : BB has a feature, to prevent damage to the unit, shuts down if it detects low voltage. There might be/must be some glitch which causes the BB to shut down. To reset, need to switch off then on.

Last time the engine shut down, was running down a slope in the village at about 25mph in probably third gear, felt the engine stop - its happened a few times so I recognise the feeling - so quick-thinking (!) turned the key OFF-ON and the engine immediately picked up again. That seems to confirm the hypothesis.

Me and mate Elliot was discussing this and he suggested that a dicky connection in the ignition-coil-Boyer box wiring would be enough to cause said glitch. But it always seems to happen when I back off after having been going quick.

Have looked at the wiring and not spotted anything dodgy. Thinking it might be an idea to fit a voltmeter. Elliot pointed out that won't help if just a quick glitch is enough to upset the BB box. But, well you know, it might be that charging breaks down when the bike is hot, a volt meter is useful anyway, and I'm grasping at straws.

The good news - thank goodness, it has always re-started after a few kicks.

But deffo a good enough reason to sort the starter . . .

Raymond, did you install your Boyer with a relay and dedicated power lead from battery as Mailman did? That is what I did and it has been ok. Hopefully not jinxing myself as the old girl sleeps away in the garage...

No, Boyer was on the bike when it arrived. I have since rewired the bike but the Boyer is wired pretty much as their instructions.

Now wondering about @jetmechmarty's suggestion that the BB might be affected by heat . . .

No, Boyer was on the bike when it arrived. I have since rewired the bike but the Boyer is wired pretty much as their instructions.

Now wondering about @jetmechmarty's suggestion that the BB might be affected by heat . . .

I suggest checking out Mailman's posts re the installation. I followed it to the letter and it worked well. Main take away as I understand it is that it gets full voltage with no extra resistance and voltage line loss due to old wiring harness. As you noted, the Boyer system needs full voltage to work to its full potential.

Back