Miss November XS2 tribute

Me too Raymond. You have the right idea! Even the 70 got some Make it better to ride in 2021 updates.
I'm not into museum sitters.
Poor ole WJL after 10 miles of limestone gravel and 50 in the rain at the Iowa rally last summer with Greg on his 72.
at kamakazi.png
We are firmly in the ride em don't hide em camp.
The rally was a VJMC event, guys showed up with huge transporter trailers behind diesel pickups, unloaded, showed, loaded back up, drove home.
OK to gaze at, guys put in an incredible amount of work time and $$. but not for me, much prefer ride oriented events. Yeah I'm old and do some trading so I'm certainly not beyond trailering or transport in a van. But they were built to ride not hide.

Me too Raymond. You have the right idea! Even the 70 got some Make it better to ride in 2021 updates.
I'm not into museum sitters.
Poor ole WJL after 10 miles of limestone gravel and 50 in the rain at the Iowa rally last summer with Greg on his 72.
View attachment 181424
We are firmly in the ride em don't hide em camp.
The rally was a VJMC event, guys showed up with huge transporter trailers behind diesel pickups, unloaded, showed, loaded back up, drove home.
OK to gaze at, guys put in an incredible amount of work time and $$. but not for me, much prefer ride oriented events. Yeah I'm old and do some trading so I'm certainly not beyond trailering or transport in a van. But they were built to ride not hide.
I like the idea of ride not hide
I'm just not ambitious enough to take it over the top kinda guy
This winter it's time to fix the starter issue so side covers coming of to get a little buff job and while I'm at it the valve covers and rims will get a little shine but first I have to get all the Montana mud off it first

Couldn't think of any "Nut" jokes but thought there may be a more interesting style of bolt to go on the bottom of your shocks. e.g. flanged head Allen or Hexagon. Or if you have access to a lathe you could make a special washer from Aluminium with the bolt head countersunk..

s-l200.jpg
s-l225.webp

Hi Paul.
nut joke?
A reporter is tasked to write about a lunatic who sexually assaults a group of laundresses and then escapes capture.
There's only room in the paper for five words:- Nut screws washers and bolts.

Back from her first run since the end of September:

PICT2532.JPG PICT2533.JPG

Just a few miles along the local lanes. Roads filthy with mud and gravel, so a very quick rinse.

Over the winter, general service items, cam chain, valves and so forth, head re-torqued, new oil & filter, EBC drilled disc and pads, TX750 swing arm complete with an extra grease nipple, centre stand painted and fitted with grease-nipple-bolts, side stand greased, chain guard painted, steering head bearings adjusted, tacho rebuilt by owner, bit of tidying the wiring, owner-fabricated headlamp steady bracket, etcetera.

But it just felt so good to be out again, even briefly.

Last edited:
When I kicked the engine over, first time in maybe five months, the compression felt low. Maybe it was just me? Or maybe that really is a thing? Rings stuck or something?

Could be rings a little sticky and running dry too - give it a few miles and I am sure she'll come back as before.

Well you have been in quite a state of lock down.
Exercising the legs? Gotta "heavier" kick advantage going on ?
:D
You sayin' I put some weight on over lockdown? How very dare you!

Could be rings a little sticky and running dry too - give it a few miles and I am sure she'll come back as before.

That's what I was hoping.

Back from her first run since the end of September:

View attachment 185523 View attachment 185524

Just a few miles along the local lanes. Roads filthy with mud and gravel, so a very quick rinse.

Over the winter, general service items, cam chain, valves and so forth, head re-torqued, new oil & filter, EBC drilled disc and pads, TX750 swing arm complete with an extra grease nipple, centre stand painted and fitted with grease-nipple-bolts, side stand greased, chain guard painted, steering head bearings adjusted, tacho rebuilt by owner, bit of tidying the wiring, owner-fabricated headlamp steady bracket, etcetera.

But it just felt so good to be out again, even briefly.

Such an interesting color scheme....I had a black '78

When I kicked the engine over, first time in maybe five months, the compression felt low. Maybe it was just me? Or maybe that really is a thing? Rings stuck or something?
The bike looks great !
I agree with Pete, the cylinders were relatively dry, so the compression could have been momentarily lower.

End of February, weather getting better, decided to brave the salt and take Missy for a short run. Had to clean off the worst of the road dirt afterwards but it was worth it.

PICT2537.JPG

Most noticeable of the recent changes is the new EBC brake disc & pads - definitely more stopping power. If being picky, would still prefer more feel, but in that respect the current setup is miles better than the old rubber brake line and original master cylinder. There's certainly enough front brake for the bike's performance, well alright, enough for the way I ride it.

Looking at the bike in the low winter sun, it occurred to me how far it's come since I bought it. Looks better. Goes, handles, stops. Reliable even - ooh, tempting fate there.

That is now a bike I can just jump on and take for a run without having to make due allowances for how old it is.

A practical classic?

Last edited:
End of February, weather getting better, decided to brave the salt and take Missy for a short run. Had to clean off the worst of the road dirt afterwards but it was worth it.

View attachment 185741

Most noticeable off the recent changes is the new EBC brake disc & pads - definitely more stopping power. If being picky, would still prefer more feel, but in that respect the current setup is miles better than the old rubber brake line and original master cylinder. There's certainly enough front brake for the bike's performance, well alright, enough for the way I ride it.

Looking at the bike in the low winter sun, it occurred to me how far it's come since I bought it. Looks better. Goes, handles, stops. Reliable even - ooh, tempting fate there.

That is now a bike I can just jump on and take for a run without having to make due allowances for how old it is.

A practical classic?

Precisely....and as Mary Poppins said...."Practically, perfect in every way".

I have been riding motorcycles since the mid-1970s (with a big break between 1990 and 2015) and I have truly enjoyed all of my bikes. From the little Honda CB360T (the ideal beginner bike), the nimble tough and sexy Suzuki SV650ABS to the big powerful BMW R100RS, Suzuki GS850G and Honda ST1300 (the quintessential fast sport tourers of their respective eras), each of these machines was special, each excelled at certain things and each holds a place of affection in my memory (and in the case of the Bimmer, a place in my garage).

But, for general booting around and just going for a bike ride....nothing (with one or two possible exceptions - see below) beats the XS650 and with modern mods to enhance reliability (electronic ignition, a re-wound alternator rotor by Jim, head and taillight modulators for safety, upgraded brakes as per Raymond's description above and a set of decent tires), they are, in my opinion, fully up to modern standards for safety and reliability too.

I just watched a review of the 2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and it seemed as though the reviewer (Zack of Revzilla) wanted to dislike the bike - but in the end, he came to like it very much. Unfortunately, most of what he said about it was inaccurate or dead wrong ("R-Es are unreliable, the Interceptor is just an old 1950s-70s design that has been tarted-up with a few modern gizmos" etc. etc.) but overall, he missed the point: as a bike to use for just going for a ride, a motorcycle like this is exactly what most riders of today want. That is why R-Es are flying off the showroom floor everywhere they are sold. Peg-scrapin' teeny-boppers might not like them, but sales figures don't lie...

Like our XS650s back in the 1970s, these bikes run well, last a long time, ride great, they're comfy and sound fabulous, they aren't "styled" like a kid's Transformer toy and best of all, they are inexpensive and simple enough that they can be fixed by anyone with a screwdriver and a 10mm wrench and socket (now where the he!! is my 10mm socket...?).

So much of what is on modern bikes - and what makes them cost the price of a car, or more, is simply not useful. Just because engineers can put some tech on a bike, it doesn’t mean that they should do it. All I have added to my classic bikes are light modulators and a USB charger - and they are now just what I want. A motorcycle that works well and costs $5,700 USD makes a lot more sense than one that works 5% better and costs $12,670 USD. The Kawasaki W800 falls in the same category - and one of my clubmates has one - which he loves for all the same reasons.

In my view, the J4 and Triumph, MotoGuzzi, BMW, Ducati, KTM and Co. had better watch out - the classic bikes (like our old Yamahas) and the modern classic bikes (like the R-E Interceptor and Kawasaki W800) are comin' for their market share.....

Last edited:
Called at the RE dealers yesterday, he has about 15 650’s left in stock. February has been his busiest month, but is afraid of the coming shortfall of new bikes because the RE factory has been in lockdown for six months.
No new builds coming, leaves him without his two best sellers 650 twins and Himalayan’s.
He also sells customers bikes on commission and has two XS 650’s in his shop.
Eddys Motorcycles. Tadcaster Yorkshire.
Sorry for the hijack.

Thank you, Gentlemen!

Pete, agree with most of what you say. Have owned about thirty bikes and mostly loved them all. Horses for courses goes without saying. A good few I wish I'd never let go.

The RE 650 twins are very tempting and absolutely hit the spot for a lot of people. Seriously tempting, but have started to hear a few quiet, uhm, noises about them possibly not quite lasting too well. Time will tell.

The bike on the market that keeps whispering in my ear - Fantic Caballero 500 Scrambler/deluxe/rally. Get behind me, Satan!

Sorry for the hijack.

No worries, mate.

Yup - that Fantic looks pretty nice Raymond! Sort of a Yamaha SR500 on a budget.

Any clue how much the R-E Interceptors are selling for in the UK? We only have a couple of dealers in all of Ontario (in Lakefield and another in Ottawa I think - about 600 and 800 km away respectively) - and they want around $7499 CAD (about $24.57 USD at the present rate of exchange). Nonetheless, that is quite the bargain as it is about $2000 less than the Yamaha XSR700 and about $3K under a Triumph Street Twin.

I'd be interested to learn more about the durability issues - if you can point me to a link. I watch Stuart Fillingham regularly and he is delighted with his Interceptor.

I guess I feel unable to make major purchases from Chinese companies as long as they hold innocent Canadian hostages (Michael Spavor and Michael Kovrig). As far as I am concerned, their government are thugs.

I also apologize for the hijack.

Last edited:
Back