Miss November XS2 tribute

Just wait until you have the chance to try your braced and now fully greased centerstand. As I've mentioned many times, the difference these couple little mods have is down right amazing. Add a grease nipple to the sidestand pivot and it will bring a smile to your face every time you deploy it too.

Jj2lVqp.jpg

y6VgFrh.jpg

Thank you for the suggestion, 5T, I will consider that.

But meanwhile I have other fish to fry.

This was the scene in the garage at 3:30 today:

PICT2501.JPG

Took three days but the swing-arm is in.

Well, of course it didn't take three days, 72 hours, of constant toil. More like, nipping out to the garage to try again or try a different approach to getting' them pesky grease seals over the pivot area. Don't know why it was so hard. The Yamaha seals are no longer available but these are manufactured for Yambits. Maybe not quite right?

Had to resort to using a craft knife and judiciously trimming the rubber seal area. Okay, butchered them if you prefer. But they're on.

Fitted four shims. One 0.2 mm was already in there, two 0.1 mm I bought from Yambits. And one plastic shim I cut from a milk bottle. Clearly, no expense spared on this build! But the good news is, the swing arm just slowly falls under its own weight. Should be good.

Onwards and upwards.

Some further progress today. Cleaned and refitted the chain:

PICT2503.JPG

Must wipe the rust off me nuts.

Few jobs still to do the front end:

PICT2504.JPG

The turn signals look drunk 'coz they've had their nuts removed. Sounds painful - who can blame them drowning their sorrows? Gonna try tweak the headlamp shell so its a more similar version of round to fit the headlamp with less cussin'.

Will refit the old tacho:

PICT2505.JPG

Screws are tight and drop of Loctite. The surround has paint missing and ain't round. But that's patina on a forty-two year-old motorbike.

And if it doesn't work, I've got that NOS one.

While I'm in that area, adjust the head races. Fit both tacho and speedo with new rubber bumpers. Yamaha's name for the rubber insert twix instrument and chrome outer. Well, it would be silly to replace just the one?

Last edited:
You guys are awful! But I've got Miss November so I don't care.

Today will make a brief sojourn to the garage - convector heater on as I write. Clean the rear wheel rim. I use Solvol Autosol to shine up the bare alloy, but it soon goes dull again. Gonna try some household wax polish and see if that protects the alloy. Not ready to check wheel adjustment until the XS is off the work bench.

There's no rush at this time of year . . .

Couldn't think of any "Nut" jokes but thought there may be a more interesting style of bolt to go on the bottom of your shocks. e.g. flanged head Allen or Hexagon. Or if you have access to a lathe you could make a special washer from Aluminium with the bolt head countersunk..

s-l200.jpg
s-l225.webp

No, I haven't thought about sourcing different bolts. Have two sets. The ones that were on the bike are being used just now. And a pair with unthreaded shank on the portion that sits within the shock. But the main thing I'm interested is that they hold the shocks and are safe.

Cleaned the wheel rims:

PICT2509.JPG PICT2510.JPG

The photos don't do full justice. The alloy looks very speckled in the pictures but it looks fine in person. Maybe to do with the flash? Better than in #1491 above anyhow.

Wiped them off, then some time with Solvol, then wiped over with furniture wax. Time will tell whether that keeps the shine for longer.

Interesting to compare the approaches of different people. Some want a bike that is restored to full original spec and as clean and tidy as it can possibly be. Others just want a bike that runs. I believe 5Twins has said (sorry, can't find the link) that what he wants is a practical classic with minor upgrades to make it better and more reliable but has never done a full restoration. Guess that's not too far away from my thinking.

For me it's about the ride. Love the pleasure of just riding life's highways and byways on an honest, traditional motorbike. So I buy a bike that I fondly imagine will give me that experience. Don't always get that right! Then try to fix it or modify it to turn it into a bike that will give me that. Happy to make small changes that will improve the reliability or the handling or the brakes.

In the case of something like the XS650, now regarded as a 'classic', I will respect the nature of the bike but not hesitate to make the kind of changes owners would have made back in the day. Or the changes they might have made if the technology had been available back then, such as electronic ignition or modern tyres.

Changes intended to make it a better bike. Which means different things to different people. ETTO. I don't understand why some people want to pay a machinist to put diamond-cut pattern on the edges of the cylinder fins. For me, that doesn't make it a better bike. But if that's what they want, fine by me.

To me it's a better bike if it rides better. Maybe sounds better? Yes, but not too loud, please. Looks better? Yes, but not at any expense. So no gold-plating or trick look-how-expensive-I-am parts. Clean and well presented? Yes, but not if that results in a bike I'm afraid to take out in case it gets dirty.

Just musing. Just my opinion. No offence to people who take a different route.

Roll on the Spring.

Last edited:
Back