Missing advance rod?

scubacheeze

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
So I'm in the middle of my first build, got a 1981 Special from a guy who bought it at an auction. It used to start up and ran down the street without a hiccup, until I tried to start it up again and the battery was dead...thanks to this site, I realized it was the alternator. I was going to just do minor fixes to get her up and running as my daily driver (which I still intend her to be), but one fix leaded to another and I decided to go big. Among other things I got the whole PMA kit with the PAMCO ignition and the install was going great, until I realized that there was no advance rod in the engine. I took the side covers off, and where that rod is supposed to be was just a hole all the way through.

So what now? Do I need to buy a new advance rod? The rod on Mikes says that the bike has to have internal bushings on the camshaft...how do I tell if mine has that? Unfortunately I don't know very much about the bike and it's history, except that it was repossessed.

Wish I could put up pictures but I'm at sea this week, will get some more up this weekend (and of the whole build so far).

Hoping this is an easy fix, any help is appreciated, thanks!

'81 has TCI ignition: a pick up coil on the alternator, and a brain box, no adv rod (or associated needle bearings or labyrinth seals) needed. With the PAMCO the adv rod does need them. Check fitment before you install them. A cam that has never had bearings/seals in it might need to be cleaned up a little. If too tight it may split the cam :( Good luck :thumbsup:

Back