Missing on the right cyl

Tiny92

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so heres the deal my 1980 XS650S misses on the right cyl till it warms up. After it warms up it will start missing at low rpms while riding. I tried swapping the plug wires but then I couldn't get the bike to start at all. so now i'm thinking its both the carb and the coil... before I tear into the carbs yet again is there another area I'm missing?

How do the plugs look. Is the right one fouled?
New plugs don't cost much.
Leo

Well then, on the coil it's a dual output coil. This means it fires both plugs at the same time. If one side fires the other should. Now we know yours has problems on the right side. How do the plug wires look. They could be part of the problem. The plug caps them selves could be bad.
Try switching the plug caps left to right.
One bad thing about the stock coil is that the plug wires are molded in. This makes them hard to change.
One thing you can do is take off the tank and start it up in a dark place and watch for spark leaking out of the plug wires.
Leo

Swapped plugwires left to right couldn't get it started at all. kinda wish I still had the e-start on this during these testing times... running out to the garage to try and kick it in the dark lol

Update: not seeing any arc from plug wires or coil. still wont start with the plugwires swapped. guessing i'm gonna need to clean the pilot circut again...

Last edited:
i had the same problem, it was the coil. but im still having hesitation issues. just ordered a new petcock.

any idea best place to buy a new coil from? I have 8 donor bikes right now so I may rummage around for another coil but would prefer replacing electrical with new...

no was swapping the cables them selves. i thought its a wasted spark system so they both fire at the same time right?

Update: swapped the 2 plug caps started ok still missing on the right cyl. might be missing a little less. would be nice if i could replace the plug wires without swapping the entire coil... the wires and coils being as old as the bike would be very suspect at this age.

Yes, it's wasted spark system. Even if the wire is fine, a bad cap can cause the plug to not fire. That's why I suggested swapping the caps around.
Another thing, where the cap screws into the wire can get cruddy. Cut about 1/4 inch of the wire off on the cap end Trim the cover off about 1/4 inch. Spread the internal wires out in a starburst pattern. Screw the cap back on. This will make a good connection between the wire and plug cap.
Leo

There are many good coil that can be used. Try searching coil on this site.
Many use a Harley type coil.
On your 80 it uses a 2.5 ohm primary coil. Any replacement should be this within about 10%. So a coil from 2.25 to 2.75 should work fine.
Leo

trimmed the wire plugged in the cap seems to be firing a bit better still missing a bit though and it stalled a few times which it hasnt done before.

Back