missing some parts from clutch and a shift shaft question

walterpunk

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
well i replaced the shift shaft on my 79 special and buttoned everything back up and attemepted kicking it over but the kicker had a lot of resistance so i took it all apart again and noticed i was scratching the hub pretty good....so i noticed there is no ball in the worm gear and that i only had one washer in between the hub and needle bearing... so what im getting at how do you suggest i put the washers in? the way mikes xs says with the bearing against the hub then the thin washer and then the thick one?? also is the ball i need for the worm gear the same as the clutch pushrod ball?? also when i play with my shift shaft i can only grab 1st and 2nd? did i maybe put it in when the bike was in a higher gear? or do i need to do more than turn the engine to get the higher ones?

Here's a pic of how I assembled my clutch, and its works just fine.

Yes, the ball bearings (3 total if using 2 short pushrods) are all the same.......5/16". It's been reported that they are available in hardware stores, and no doubt in every pedal bike shop.

The transmission shifts just fine when the engine is running and travelling along the road. Don't expect it to shift with the engine off or even with the engine on but bike is stopped.

Attachments

• Clutch Assembly.jpg
    Clutch Assembly.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 98
Normally with the engine off, rocking the bike gently forward and back will allow you to shift the tranny up and down through all the gears.

well it looks like either the po or i lost the thick washer...$%^&!! anybody have a source for a new one?? probably dumb but has anybody tried two thin washers before??

Back