Mixture Screw Question.

MurphDog

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I finally finished my build up and got it started. It pops a little but seems to idle fine when warm and has yet to shut off on me... So I think I'm just going to play with the air/fuel mixture screw a little instead of spending money on jets. My question is, how far out should I take the screw? I hear some people say around 2, to 2.5 turns, but is that tightened down the whole way or from stock position? Or should I just keep playing with it half a turn at a time until I find a good spot? I figured some of the veterans here could give me a good starting point. Thanks a lot guys.

2 to 2.5 turns out from touching (not tightened, don't tighten). 3 to 3.5 is about max. Have you vacuum synched the carbs yet? That should cure the popping.

2 to 2.5 turns out from touching (not tightened, don't tighten). 3 to 3.5 is about max. Have you vacuum synched the carbs yet? That should cure the popping.

I haven't synched them yet, I'm planning on getting to it tomorrow. Do you know anything about the stock float heights? From what I understand these carbs have never been torn down... But when the bike isn't running and the petcocks are on, it just pours gas out of the air filters. Since the carbs haven't been touched I'm assuming the floats are at stock height, so how high should I raise them?

You need to tear em down and replace all the o-rings. Especially the ones that seal the float needle seats. It is a near guarantee they are bad and that is your issue. I have almost NEVER found a float out of adjustment unless some misguided PO had tried to fix a leaky o-ring by adjusting the float. I am not an expert but have probably done 20 or 30 sets of carbs on a lot of different bikes. Clogged passages and leaky float o-rings are the two most common problems. There is a guy in Illinois who sells o-ring sets for GS Suzukis but they fit the XS just fine also, a set for both carbs is about 9 or $10 IIRC

Thanks for the fast response. What if I just picked up a couple rebuild kits from Mikes? I was planning on it anyway. Only problem is it says that the o-rings aren't guaranteed to fit...

If the o-ring has just srunk and not torn this will work if you are clever.....did mine 10 years ago and still holding....may even outlast a new o-ring or 2 .........:D

xsjohn

Attachments

• Seats.jpg
    Seats.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 225
Brilliant might be a better term..........and the thread costs money too........:laugh:

Rolled over 78 thou yesterday..no gas leaks....:D

xsjohn

i'd go with "ingeniously cheap" and "would rather ride than wait for parts" with a not unhealthy dose of "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

There's also some "bored tinkerer" in there too - nothing wrong with that either. :)

Back