Modify Stock Switch

dover338

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have searched and could not find what I was looking for.

I just got a 78 xs650 special.
I have removed my turn signal and starter motor (the lights were cracked and broken and the starter was not working properly,I will address that later). And I want to remove the left side handle bar switch. Everything I have left could be housed in the right side handle bar switch.

Functions I want to move
LH --> RH
Hi/Lo moved to the On/Off switch
Horn moved to the Starter button

This would make the headlights always on, just Hi/Lo, but I'm ok with that. I have looked over the stock wiring diagram and my eyes go crossed trying to figure it out.

Is it even possible to do what I want? If so, what wires do I disconnect and reconnect to make it work?

On my 79 special, I just clipped the headlight wire at the fuse and ran a new wire to the bucket. I have mine on high all the time, no switch. I also tied my two instrument lights to that. The switch would not be hard to wire in either. Just mount the switch on the right side and intercept the headlight wire coming off the fuse with the switch. I would have to see wiring diagrams for the horn but you could possibly tie it into the headlight wire?

i don't know about Texas laws but will that fly past the motor vehicle inspection? Would be a shame to have to undo it?

dover,

You will need a 5 terminal relay for the Hi / Lo beam from the on / off switch. If you are thinking that you will just use the on / off switch for the high beam, there are two problems.

1. Draw too much current with both filaments on.
2. Over heat and burn out the headlight.

The starter button does provide a ground which could be used for the horn, except that it gets the ground from the handle bars, which in turn get the ground from the horn button ground wire, so you will have to wire a ground to the handle bars because they float on their rubber dough nut mounts.

If you wanted to have a switch for the headlight, then you can wire a 5 terminal relay to the neutral switch to turn the headlight off when in neutral.

Ok, maybe I'm confused on how the high beam works. In the stock configuration, when the high beam is turned on, does it turn on both filaments in the bulb? I thought it just switched between the two filaments. Is there already a headlight relay in the stock harness that I could just activate through the on off switch?

dover,

In the stock configuration, the hi / lo switch switches between the two filaments. They are not both on at the same time.

But, if you are going to use the on / off switch in the right hand controls, then it only has one set of contacts, so you will not be able to switch between the filaments because the switch only has one set of contacts, so if you do not use a relay with the extra contacts that you need to switch between the hi / lo filaments, then you will have no choice but to leave the low beam on all the time and use the switch to turn on the high beam, which means that both filaments will be on at the same time...

There is no headlight relay in the stock wiring.

i don't know about Texas laws but will that fly past the motor vehicle inspection? Would be a shame to have to undo it?

I live in Texas, and from what I understand, if the bike originally came with turn signals, then it has to have them. BUT -- this doesn't seem to be enforced much around where I live (Houston). Some inspection stations around here are known to be "bike friendly" and will be more, um, lax in their scrutiny. My advice would be to go to an indy Harley shop and ask where they send their customers to have their bikes inspected.

As for an all-in-one handlebar switch, this is something that I plan to install on my 78E cafe build. I want everything housed on the left side, in my case, but the all-in-one seems to be fairly ambidextrous. 650central now carries one. Go there, then click on electrical, then scroll all the way to the bottom. K&S, the company that makes that switch also makes others. Go here to see them all:

http://www.kandstech.com/index.php?page=switchescontrols#

Actually Mike. It's either you have no turn signals or both front and back turn signals. You have to have a high low switch. Your lights must come on and the horn must work when the bike isn't running.

Thanks for the clarification, Jimmy. Makes sense based on what I see around here. One other thing some inspection stations will do is check tread depth. Others will insist on riding the bike to check the brakes, which I take a rather dim view of, since the inspector may or may not have any experience as a rider.

Yeah for maybe a minute.. In my case I'm using a capacitor without a horn at all. Just gotta go to the right place. I'm also supposed to have one mirror, but I haven't gotten around to doing that just yet.

Yeah for maybe a minute.. In my case I'm using a capacitor without a horn at all. Just gotta go to the right place. I'm also supposed to have one mirror, but I haven't gotten around to doing that just yet.

bicycle squeeze bulb horn, it just has to work doesn't have to be electric

Jayel, you're correct. The legislation says air or electric, but most places won't pass you on the grounds that they are idiots and once again don't know what they're talking about.

Hell even the AMA website is wrong about turn signals on a motorcycle in TX..

Well, if you want to get creative, install a throttle only grip on the right side and get rid of the right side switches.

1. You don't need the kill switch or the headlight on off switch and that just leaves the start button.

2. On the left side, wire the starter to the horn switch and retain the safety relay so the starter will not operate after the engine has started, only the horn will.

3. Wire a relay to the neutral switch to turn off the headlight and the horn when in neutral so the horn won't blow when you start the engine.

4. Then, to conform to Texas law, install a clutch safety switch if you don't already have one so you can put the bike in gear without the engine running to turn on the lights and blow the horn without starting the engine unless the clutch is pulled.......:wtf:

This setup will also make your bike theft proof because nobody will be able to figure out how to start the damn thing.....:laugh:

Last edited:
dover,

In the stock configuration, the hi / lo switch switches between the two filaments. They are not both on at the same time.

But, if you are going to use the on / off switch in the right hand controls, then it only has one set of contacts, so you will not be able to switch between the filaments because the switch only has one set of contacts, so if you do not use a relay with the extra contacts that you need to switch between the hi / lo filaments, then you will have no choice but to leave the low beam on all the time and use the switch to turn on the high beam, which means that both filaments will be on at the same time...

There is no headlight relay in the stock wiring.

Ok, I think I got.

hi/lo = SPDT (single pole, double throw)
on/off = SPST (single pole, single throw)

hmmmm....The whole point of it was to simplify my wiring while still using stock switches, so I didn't have to buy anything new. I guess I will just stick with what I have for now.

As far as TX law, it's also my understanding that you either have all signals working or none at all. I typically opt for NO signals. I have also not had a motorcycle inspected in MANY years. I have been pulled over several times and nobody has ever mentioned anything about a missing inspection sticker.

So in Texas, it is not required to get ANY motor vehicle safety inspected before you get a license plate? How does that work? Here in MO when you go to get a plate you must show the safety inspection slip or you don't get one. .:confused:

In most of the states I've lived in you have a grace period to have an inspection done following registration. Typically 2 weeks or 15 days. That way if you fail inspection you have ample time to repair and still be "legal".

Back