MONSTERCRAFTSMAN Turbo Charged XS650 Running first try!

monstercraftsman

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
We'll we've been working on the idea for this for a while and will eventually offer this as a kit, but Jeremy our mechanic hooked up the turbo today and got it to run quite well for not being tuned at all. Literally first start and the bike idles! Stay tuned...

-Jon

Hey JON small exhaust pipe will help in back fire lag if you test more and will tune better.
Very nice job i am playing with the same setup these work great on ATV's and go carts.
Again great job guys i know you been wanting to get a kit out there when you visited my shop and exhaust turbo is clean and easy to install on many products. What was the boost ? I just got some info on a bike overseas that went 11.4 114mph in 1/4 with just bore kit carbs and cam so with 8 to 10 lbs of boost maybe 50 to 75 more horse power (maybe more)i see no reason mid 10 second pass not out of reach with this setup.These little suckers can produce 150 to 200 more horse from what manufactor claims. Now you got me jonesing and can't wait until FEB to be able to start playing again. GREAT JOB GUY !!! Now you need my frame design to fit it all in.
KEEP CHOPPIN!!!! I LOVE IT YOU GUYS ARE MY NEW HEROS!!!!!!!!!HAHA

Boosting an engine is the way to get major power from an otherwise mundane powerplant. I love boost. You still have some problems to work out. I'm always interested in the solutions people come up with.

A slide carb isn't my first choice because once you are able to get the turbo under a load and the boost is raging, the differential pressure on the slide will stick it in its bore and hold the throttle open. A small butterfly carb will be the answer or maybe a double cable carb to physically pull the slide down.

You have probably already thought about how to get fuel to the carb under boost. Since the float bowl will be pressurized the fuel will not be able to flow from the tank into the pressurized float bowl. The obvious solution is to pressurize the tank. But this leads to another problem. When the throttle is closed after a boost, the tank will have pressure that does not drop as fast as the float bowl. Gas under pressure will overcome the needle and seat and flood the carb.

I've heard of floats that collaspe under boost pressure but this was with cars. Motorcycle carb floats may be smaller and therefore stronger.

Detonation is a killer. Not only is the combustion pressure high but the mixture heat is much higher. Common solutions are high octane (pump is only 93), severe retarded timing (kills power), pig rich mixtures (cools somewhat but drowns the power), intercooler (difficult to position) and water injection (rarely used). My solution has always been water injection. I run a super simple WI on my roots system.

Now get that system in a good handling bike for us to drool over!

Tom Graham

You can change.... take out the plastic slide which you are right they do stick but they make a heavier slide not plastic and that cures the problem. I have used flat slide carbs on all my DRAG motors with Turbo Power and never had one stick open after the change. The plastic slide will break in two if you pull too much boost and have back fire threw the turbo but i don't think this will happen on this setup the rubber boot will pop first and you really don't need that much boost on one of these motors . I have been more concerned about the crank and trans holding up with the extra horsepower from a turbo because once its on its on . I really like the design and was not going that way with the one i am playing with but I LIKE IT!!!! I have had them blow apart at 160mph at 28 pounds of boost and the carb was never the issue. I wanted to use a MR Turbo one on it but just way too big and i know i will get crazy and see how far i can go and hurt myself. Here is a good one if you can find it. OLD Nissan Wedge turbo they fit perfect on GPZ750 and can pull 30 pounds of boost. For all you guys who lost money to me at the CABBAGE PATCH in FL in 1985/86/87 LOOKS STOCK but its not!!!!!HAHA

Monstercraftsman will be offering a full kit with everything you need to just bolt up and go in the future if we can work out the liability problems with our lawyers. That's one reason why our company is a "Limited Liability Corporation"...

JON if you sell it as a kit there is no liability on your part same as you selling the hard tail / pegs/ fuel gauge and other parts you sell but once you do the install its a different story.
Make it easy to install and good easy directions and you good. I have bought many turbo kits and never had a problem with vendor it was the mad doctor in me that kept cranking them up and blowing them into little pieces. FIXED BOOST CONTROL WAY TO GO>

I would think you would be more worried about some knucklehead not doing the tank guage right starting the bike up and boom up in smoke than a turbo kit. Don't get me wrong i have done this for over 35 years and like i told you.... you are going to get sued at some point it just happens . I have been sued three times over the years and won all of them in court and it was all parts failure but not my parts (vendor parts) and there was nothing wrong with there parts it was the operator who caused the part to break.So if a lawyer is telling you that the libility on a kit is on you i think he is wrong because there are 1000 of kits sold everyday. When you are dealing with motors/parts/builds there is always a libility. So i hope things work out for you or some else is going to put this out because the youtube video may have gave away more than you think. You did all the work.
Good luck with the lawyer (I HATE LAWYERS) You know whats funny these days is some people have original ideas and then 10 people steal it. I made parts for a lot of different bikes but i never patent all those things i would be sueing many people but to me it was something i made and if you want to copy it knock your socks off and people did copy it BUT THATS BUSINESS. You got over a year maybe more into this and i just don't want to see someone rob it from you without you getting it out there. EVERYONE that knows TURBOS nothing new but the idea is NEW!!!!
LATER DADDYG

Last edited:
That looks like a fun piece of kit!…….love to see it all fitted on to a bike. /how are the kits going to be sold. I mean will the same kit fit a stock bike, hardtail etc. Or diff versions of the kit??

Hey Daddy G. You know what?

If someone seriously thinks they can copy this idea and market it better than me than more power to them. You know why?

cause haters gonna hate...

Also, when I make a video that I think most people will enjoy I'm usually not worried about someone copying it or I wouldn't even bother posting it in the first place. We are going to do this as long as it's fun and have the ability to create and innovate.

and AussieHard:

We will be fitting it soon. It will be going in a full custom xs650 frame made by our friend David from Voodoo Vintage. Will also have a custom xs650 springer that David is working on. The kit will be mainly built for a stripped down hardtail style frame, but will be a universal kit for most types of bikes.

Back