More novice questions...

donmillerx

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've got new questions everyday... not sure if i should start a new thread every time?
Let me know.

Changed the oil last night and found little metal shavings stuck in the filter. That's what it's there for right? There weren't a ton, just more like metal lint. Not a big deal, right?

Had a small leak too, hopefully it just wasn't tight enough? Has the copper seals but I still haven't picked up a 27mm socket.

On a side note: Should I have filters on these "breather tubes"?

Thanks again.

Attachments

• P1010767.JPG
    P1010767.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 118
  • P1010754.jpg
    P1010754.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 123
  • P1010779.JPG
    P1010779.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 107
- some thoughts

- alu is most likely from the cam chain tensioner esp if there are black bits of plasticy rubber stuff, sometimes the clutch, sometimes the oil pump
- magnetic generally from the starter bendix gear

- is the cu washer new or used-crushed...can be annealed in heat

- should either put a collector or brake booster check valves on them

Look's like you need at least one new drain plug. 650 Central has them.Along with better fitting copper gasket's.
Yes, I would suggest either to 'T' the two together & use the small filter available at Advance Auto Parts or Auto Zone. If you don't want to 'T' them together, you can use one filter on each hose. Not a whole lot of room back there, that's why the suggestion of the 'T'. But you definately don't want to leave them open, cause the crankcase gasses pulse in & out, so you could get dirt up in the head.

Back