more pma questions

rybeatty

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased used parts to build my PMA before everyone was selling the entire kit. the only thing new was the reg/rec and the mounting plate I purchased from HHB. I have a used banshee flywheel and a stator I believe was from a mid 80's Honda anyway I have 3 position switch and only run head light, tail light and I do run a 1.3 amp hr agm camcorder battery. at normal idle i'm getting 12-13 volts on the meter but when I switch on the lights its drops to 8. shouldn't it put out a constant 13-14? could this be a problem with the old stator not putting out enough volts or the reg/rec going bad?

At idle any alernator will not be putting out the max of 14+ volts. Does the voltage come up when you rev it to around 2000 rpms? If it does come up then your PMA is working ok.
Your Honda stator may be one with a lower rated output. Like 160 watts or something. A bigger rating like 200 watts or more will have better idle output, but still may not give you more than 12 volts with the headlight on.
On my 75 I have a volt meter on the risers. The stock alternator at idle with the lights on the meter reads about 12 volts or so. Any rpms much above idle, like 1800 rpms and the voltage comes right up to 14 volts, maybe a bit more.
Leo

yeah its comin up when I take the rpm's up. I have no tach so I think I had the idle set a lil low and when I kick the lights on its causing the volts to drop low. gonna look into getting a 200 watt stator. having a volt meter on it is a great idea! thanXS for the info

Back