morris magneto

Trex

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Just saw an add in the horse. Morris magneto now made just for the xs650. Sposed to eliminate battery, coil and charging system. I assume only works with points setup. Anybody tried one or have experience running a mag on something else?

Yeah nearly a grand is daunting but compared to a new battery alternator and coil..tci or pamco..wiring etc....not much more. If a guy was building a barebones kick only bobber it would be the ticket if reliable.

So I see all the similiar threads after posting. Guess if I was flat tracking without lights and wanted to ditch the rotor and battery for lighter weight and quicker tons. It would be worth it. I'm building mine for main transportation any time the weather allows. Well therapy really...ride any chance I can with 6 month winters. Lol

Don't think it replaces charge system, but batt yes. Running dual morris mags on my Harley

It is an ignition system only you still need a charging system to run the lights and/or
the starter.but if the charging system fails you can still ride in the day time but they are not cheep around 900 bucks

An external magneto is great for retro looks, but not necessarily the best option for a road bike. This kit takes care of ignition and charging, and can be run with or without a battery. It does not require a capacitor either. Basically a PMA and self generating crank trigger CDI in one system. It will also allow the removal of advance mechanism and breaker housings, and the use of more compact cam end caps instead.

https://www.powerdynamo.de/shop/sho..._id=581&SESS=jek3vf3uqqvhv4lmt7mo5mvp372oqn5r

I have a Morris on my bobber. I grew up in love with old Brit bikes and flat trackers. So I wanted a mag like they ran in the old days. My question is can and if so how do I run a head light and tail light with a stock charging system?

The stock charging system needs a battery to work.
So look at any diagram for a bike of your year. Wire the charging system as the diagram shows. Wire the lights as the diagram shows.
Basically wire it up as the diagram shows but leave out the ignition.
The Mag is the ignition.
Leo

Back