Motor Knocking

SKRIBLZ

xs650 newbie
Reaction score
:wtf:My motor is starting to knock and there is a clicking noise coming from my front wheel seems like a stupid question but what could it be and how could I fix that.

After reading your last thread I'm thinking you may need to become familiar with the Techn ection located up top in the forum. If you are wanting to be your own mechanic you will benefit greatly from reading everything there. I read that you did not build your bike. You may want to become familiar as possible with the bike as you can. It will allow you to ask more exact questions, and in return younwill get better answers.

Is the clicking rotational? I.E. One click per wheel revolution. Does it speed up as you go faster? Could be a wheel bearing or your speedo drive.

If you want help, please give us something to work with. You motor is knocking. OK. Where does the noise sound like its comming from? What does it sound like? How many miles on it? Lt or right side? Have you tried to do anything about it? Adjust your valves? Find anything in the last oil change? Do anything with your wheel lately? Anything caught in your spokes? Cast or spokes? Learn to do some research first, then ask questions.

Well patches I have been doing alot of reading for the last two days but I dont understand alot of what I am reading thats why I am trying to ask questions and I appologize for not being clear but I am just a young kid who is very determind to learn and is trying but is tight on cash (I mean no cash) and limited on tools. So I am trying to understand what im reading and what you guys are saying.

Thats why I tried stating that I did not anything about the bike before so once agian I apologize and I appreciate all the help you guys have been

but the knocking all I can say sounds like it is coming from the top of the motor and its loud you dont hear it as bad at higher rpms but you cant miss it when its idling
and the clicking in the front wheel I checked the forks and the front brake so its not that and all my spokes are tight too I am going to take the front wheel off tomorrow and check the bearings and axle

but for those who wanna be a prick just ignore my threads cuz I am here to learn so dont waste my time with your comments thanks

If the "Knock" is more of a clicking and from the top of the motor I would go with valve clearance and or cam chain guide.Try looking up either of the two in the tech section or search box at the top of the page if you want to know how to fix those problems. I would advise picking up/ordering the Haynes service manual.

I know your on a very limited budget (Like most of us):D but there well worth the $21 at Mikexs.com, it really helps you get to know the bike better and learn how to fix what ales her. Good Luck :thumbsup:

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-7.html

Attachments

• 35-0650.jpg
    35-0650.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 121
but for those who wanna be a prick just ignore my threads cuz I am here to learn so dont waste my time with your comments thanks

Pump you brakes, son. The things people are telling you are for your own good. It's not our fault that you provide insufficient information when asking a question and expect us to magically come up with a fix for you. This is FREE help..... People are telling you to list details in your questions like:
"I have a recently purchased 1978 bobber with factory spoke wheels and front disc brake. I am running a the stock front wheel speedo drive. I am hearing a rotational clicking coming from what seems to be the front wheel. It makes one click per revolution. I have checked the spokes and they seem to be tight. What should I look at next?"
Now isn't that a lot more helpful than, "Me front wheel make noise" :D

The search function is your friend.

Why would i want to help you when you post a statement, quoted as above , with No intro and expecting a solution from a poor description.

so i won't wast any more of your time with my comments.

Good luck

Us old guys have very specific engine noise terms. Knocking is the worst possible term (bad rod or main bearings, ie death knell) Now chain slap or valve tapping from the top end that's not so bad. Take a big ole screw driver (you got one O them right?) hold the handle to your ear, put the blade on various places on the engine while it's making the noise. You will be able to isolate the noise and describe it much better. Report your results. It's your bike under your shade tree. Our ESP is sketchy this month, help us help you, capiche?
This isn't pointed directly at you but is common in what "the heck is wrong" threads; If you can't or won't do something we suggest TELL US. We can deal with that, but ignoring something you don't want to know drives the would be helpers nuts.
Asking for help here creates a contract. We suggest, you report, it's that easy.
OK back to the issue, knock, ringing chain slap, or click click noise? Always, under load only, throttle chop only, idle only or worse sometimes, hot, cold? It all helps. Have you changed oil checked cleaned filters, set valves, set cam chain?
Old bikes are projects. Truth. You have to learn to wrench and you will spend money, there is no way around it. If you have NO funds to spend on the bike, sell it now while it's still running and move on.

SKRIBLZ, all these Guys just want to help You. From what I have read so far, You seem to be very new to Street bikes. Nothing wrong with that. We were all new at one time, (a LONG time ago). Your avatar shows You holding a new addition to Your family. You are very lucky to have a child. Perhaps this is a hobby best put off for a while, till Your Family is a little older. They need You around. Being unfamiliar with a bike You ride in traffic can become deadly, in a heart-beat. Good luck.

Gary thanks for the screw driver tip i will try that today.

I was up till 3am this morning doing reaseach so I dont sound like such a douche on here and hopefully have a better understanding on my bike

Pyroman, I appreciate the advice but riding I am good at its just for all the bikes I have ever had I would always drop it off at the shop if it ever needed anything but now days I cant just drop that kind of money so the point of buying an xs650 was to have a badass bike and knowing they would need constant attention she would be my project. So that way I could learn how to do the work myself

oh quick question to check the valve clearance do I have to take the cylinder head cover off or can I just take the lil crome cover off and check it that way?

thanks agian for all yer help

You just need to take the chrome covers off. (If your lucky there still chrome) :D

Here's a page that I quickly found and it can get you going on doing both valve clearance and cam chain tensioner.

http://www.650central.com/fsetting_the_valves_on_an_xs650.htm

There's also a couple of videos on youtube about this.

Feel free to ask if something doesn't make sense, or your unsure about whats what.

DUDE
I am a old fart been doing this a long time and if you need help just ask.
Easy way to check front wheel for clicking is take it off put axle threw it spin it. May be the speedo drive or a bearing.
Take a hose about 15" long and put one end to the motor the other to your ear and test and see if you can locate the knock.Sometimes you may thick it is in the top and it can be in the bottom. Could be cam chain /Valve Knock/Cranck bearing.These are two real easy ways to check.
If you need more help or want to talk on the phone email me at RGrant51@aol.com
Don't get pissed LISTEN AND LEARN you are a young guy
DADDYG

Thanks daddyg I will be hittin you up for sure

for the front wheel I dont have a speedo cable. So i am thinking its the axle or bearings.

Thanks G ha I will research that right now.

would you guys recommend me to check the valve clearance myself concidering I dont know what I am doing I have read th Clymers Manual a hundred times on how to adjust the valves and the cam chain so I know I could figure it out just wanted to know your oppinion

They are about as easy as valves get but it usually takes a few times each to get the hang of where to start tightening up the nut so that the lash is what it should be once the nut is tight. That will become clear the first time you try it! A little too loose is not a problem it will just clatter a little more. Too tight is not as forgiving.

Well there is a shop here where I live and he is gunna let me keep my bike there and show me how to work on it but he is gunna make me do it myself so im pretty stoked on that

he builds and races xs650 flat track bikes

That is awesome man. There is nothing like having a WANT to learn and someone who doesn't MIND showing you. Take in all you can. Maybe even get a camera for recording video.

Back