Mounting the rear caliper under...need opinions!

Thanks RG, you fit the 4 pistons, is it the same thing for the 2 pots?

With the Brembo Goldline 2 piston, its not the throat clearance. Its the distance between the 2 pads, that limits the disc size.. A 7 mm disc would not fit between the pads. A 5 mm disc or smaller would fit betwen the pads.

With the Brembo Goldline 2 piston, its not the throat clearance. Its the distance between the 2 pads, that limits the disc size.. A 7 mm disc would not fit between the pads. A 5 mm disc or smaller would fit betwen the pads.

Ok! Thanks for the info!

I Just grab an aprilia rsv rear hanger on ebay, i'll try to fit something the Osteoderm way but with the stock rotor! I really like the hidden stay, so why putting an ugly bar when you can just hide it!! Hope I'll be able to make this work! It goes on a 25mm axle, so I'll have some work to do on it! Maybe i'll try something floating, donno if it can works, probably!!

aprilliarearhanger.jpg

I need to find a caliper now, I like the 4 pistons brembo, but I think it's a little too big in the rear for my ''esthetic'' point of view...

I'll take any idea here...

My opinion.................mount it on top, the way that Yamaha engineers designed it to work. These are brakes you are talking about, so safety is a major concern.

Well, now we are getting into a dangerous area...A caliper on top will put the static brake stay in compression, which again may cause buckling in the stay. So the stay will need to have sufficient bending stiffness for its length, in order to be safe.
An underslung caliper arrangement will put the static stay in tension, so stiffness is of no concern. The stay can be a steel rod with uniballs at the ends, for example.
An underslung caliper mount is perfect for use with a drum brake swing arm, as the lug is at the bottom. With the stock disc brake swing arm, the lug is on the top, and I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMMEND TO USE THE STOCK STATIC BRAKE STAY

Also, the Brembo 2-piston rear calipers come in 2 versions, so the bleed nipple stays on top both for top mounted and underslung calipers.
If one decides for an underslung caliper, it is important to locate the lug for the brake stay as far away from the wheel axle as possible, for best leverage/ lowest load. And the stay and a line from lug to wheel centre should form a 90 deg angle, again to minimise loads.

If not familiar with structural/ mechanical engineering, please seek advise from someone who is, when it comes to brake modifications.

Thanks everybody for your concern about my safety!! I'm looking for a cool inexpensive small caliper that will fit the 7mm rotor... Any idea? maybe i'll fit the stocker ...

If you really want to keep the stock disc, maybe you could have a good machinist turn it down to 5 mm thickness. This should be fine with regards to strength, but will make it heat up quicker. As previously mentioned in this thread, some OEM (Brembo) discs are just 4 mm thick.
So for a lighter, better and better looking rear brake, I would go with a stock disc machined on the INBOARD side, just to get some more clearance between spokes and caliper. (have you checked this?) An underslung Brembo caliper (if you get the correct one, the bleed nipple will be on top, and the lettering will not be upside down :)
The static brake stay can be connected like on the drum brake models. The stay does not have to be a flat bar type, a 10 mm stainless round bar, threaded at the ends to take "uniballs" or other rod end attachment would be fine, polish up nicely, and look much better than any stock arrangement. And then you can run the brake hose along the stay, just secure it with some kind of clip, like those used for organising fuel hoses etc. in cars.

Hey that's a good idea! The purpose of the bike I'm building will only be for slow speed cruising on back country road, performance is not a major factor for me, I don't think turning down the rotor to 5mm will make it heat up quicker in my case!! Stock braking power was plenty for me past years so... I'll check for a brembo 2 pots.

Thanks for this idea!

Back