Mounting the Starter Relay

kvanderploeg

The Dutch Terror
Reaction score
For you guys that went to a hardtail, where did you mount the starter relay? Does it need to be inside an electrics box or did you mount it out in the open? I know the stock location was behind a side cover and protected, but I'm hoping to keep it down low near the starter and keep the battery cable runs short. Pics are always appreciated! :thumbsup:

Kent

I mounted mine to the front of the battery box, right behind the starter on my hardtail, out in the open...but I kinda like the "mechanical" look with pieces and parts showing......Now that it's all said and done, I use the kicker more than my starter, atually thinking of taking everythig back out and going kick only before I paint the bike..
Tom

I like the mechanical look as well. I guess I'm more concerned that if I put it out in the open and get caught in a rainstorm that it will ruin the relay. I'll probably kick it most of the time too, but it's nice to know the electric starter is there if I need it.

Kent

If you do mount it in open air, you could use rubber boots to cover the exposed cable ends. That way any moisture stays out of the relay itself.
Seen all to many relays fail from water exposure.

That or stay out of the rain.

If you do mount it in open air, you could use rubber boots to cover the exposed cable ends. That way any moisture stays out of the relay itself.
Seen all to many relays fail from water exposure.

That or stay out of the rain.

Seen a few fail myself and one is too many. Thanks!

Kent

Coat the terminals with liquid electrical tape. It comes in a can with a brush and in a spray can. Hell, coat the whole thing,
Leo

The actual mounting hardware i.e. the tab with the hole in it... can it be mounted to the frame? or will it crreate a short? just curious?

The mounting tab is just a mounting tab. It has no connection to the electrical part of the relay.
Leo

The mounting tab is just a mounting tab. It has no connection to the electrical part of the relay.
Leo

Coat the terminals with liquid electrical tape. It comes in a can with a brush and in a spray can. Hell, coat the whole thing,
Leo

I use "Goop" to cover things, its seems to hold up better and it's clear (but will discolor over time ) my 2 cents :D

If I was not sure where the starter relay was on a 2005 650 Classic, I would do two things.
First, get a repair manual. While I was waiting to get one I would start at the battery. The positive cable, a big fat one, follow it, it leads right to the starter relay.
Leo

Back