Moving the rear axle all the way back

Vagabondo

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey I would like to firstly thank all you guys for the help I've been reading the posts everyday and they help out immensely. Now for my query:
79 xs650 special tc bros hard tail.
I would like to move my rear axle all the way back with some longer bolts in the chain adjuster because I'm 6'7" and trying to gain some more length where I can. So you think this is a bad idea with just the 2 chain bolts holding it back? I'm gonna have 1 washer inside the frame and 1 outside to line up the chain adjuster with the tc hard tail a little better and have it tightened down to 100 ft/lbs or whatever it is.

Obviously it won't give you any more leg room. The rear wheel will be a little further back and you won't be able to tell it is all :)

proper chain tension determines where the rear wheel sits on any chain driven bike, rear wheel adjustment won't change your height/seating/leg lenght problem

Sorry.. But when I move the rear axle back I'm welding my cross tube that my seat springs will be sitting on right back touching the fender. Fender will be just sitting off the rear wheel. This all moves my seat back and stretches it another 2 or so inches

And you plan to take up chain stretch how??

weld.on.sprocket.side.view__11428_std.jpg

Chain Tensioner?

Yes have the clamp on one from monster crafts. So we think it'll be alright with longer bolt in the chain adjuster and cranked alll the way so the axle is tight to the back?

if it is all the way to the back, how are you going to adjust your chain when it stretches?

This is why I ask, I'm new to this. Will the chain stretch so much the chain tensioner wouldn't pick it up? I could almost have it maxed out and just pick up the slack after the breaking in period. I can always take a link out if the stretch gets to much.

The chain tensioner is designed to control the whipping motion of the slack or undriven (lower) part of the chain, not to compensate for chain looseness. That's how I understand it anyway. Why not compromise and leave an inch for adjustment?

Ya that's what I was planning. I'll gain at least 1 1/2 inches which I'm happy with. I'll see what I can do for a before and after pic cause I know I enjoy your guys pics of your builds!

Last edited:
The best way to get more leg room is to raise the seat height. Scrunched up between the engine and back wheel is going to limit what you can do on the bike. Raising the seat will give instant leg room and the bike will perform & ride better. I like those folks who put some thought into seat suspension. A seat shock could have double shear plates welded to the center frame tube and mutiple holes or a slot to adjust the seat height.

Back