MT-01: Everywhere in the world except the USA

cooltouch

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
:wtf: I've been in love with the MT-01 ever since first seeing the prototype that was on display at the 1999 Tokyo motor show. It's been in production for five years and is available in Japan, Europe, Canada, Australia, even India, for pete's sake! But not the US. Why is this, I ask? Does Yamaha honestly believe there are only two kinds of riders in the US? Squids and Harley riders (or Harlley wannabees)? What about the large and growing street fighter crowd? This bike was custom made for the street fighter fans.

Don't know what I'm ranting about? Well, here then:

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2009models/2009-Yamaha-MT01.htm

Yamaha_mt01.jpg

You guys across the Pond or Down Under or up there in the Great White North -- ever had the chance to ride one? Own one even? I think I'd sell just about all my worldly possession to buy one of these machines. But I guess they're safe, cuz it isn't available here! :banghead: :mad:

- have a mate with the stage 2 version-it only comes out on dry sundays and he wont let anyone touch it-what a waste, the low mileage bikes here are unbelieveable... i think in 2008 a stage 3 version set the aussie sports compact group 5 standing quarter mile record .. 11.77 seconds 113.57 mph (182.77 km/h)

Get creative and build a look a like. Take a big Vtwin (whichever one Yamaha based this on would be ideal) , swap out the seat, exhaust and fuel tank for a similar style and voila.

The old Suzuki VX800 would be a great place to start.
SuzukiVX8002.jpg

They did have a very similar looking bike to this the BT1100 Bulldog earlier than the MT-01, the suzuki hasn't quite got the same stance as the Yamaha.
Suprised it's not available in the States, I thought they got first pickings on everything.

Yamaha doesn't feel it will sell here. Yes, they see the numbers and offer accordingly. I honestly can't blame them. It would probably just sit in dealers showrooms and collect dust. Remember that it took a robust letter writting campaign to get the FJR here, and then it was only offered under the PDP program for 3 years running! Fortunately that bike continues to sell even though Yamaha has not advertised it at all. As our market continues to decline the Asian market for transportation is growing by leaps and bounds. Most manufacturers are devoting resources (production facilites) to this market because, simply, there is more money to be made there. At the 2007 Tokyo Show Yamaha had a concept, The Sakura, which was a V-twin based retro paying homage to the XS1 and in a survey it was the most desirable bike they had on display. Hands down. What happened? I think the US has made it's own bed.

- :agree: except that i dont see a medium term success story for asia either..looking at the 'baltic dry index' which registers the ammount of raw material being shipped around the world i dont see much of a future for chinese manufacturing and that will have a rapid overall effect on asian finances

- i like the XS-V1 but think a better designation would be GT-V1 in line with the 70's ducatis

Get creative and build a look a like. Take a big Vtwin (whichever one Yamaha based this on would be ideal) , swap out the seat, exhaust and fuel tank for a similar style and voila.

Well, the 1700cc big twin Yamaha motor was obviously designed to give a 'look' similar to the H-D big twin. And in that respect, I think Yamaha succeeded. Fact is, I actually like the looks of the big Yamaha motor better than the Harley BT motor.

But when it comes to transforming Harleys into cafe bikes or street fighters, Sportsters seem to be the more popular platform. There's even a Yahoo group called Cafe Sportsters. And some of those guys have done interesting things to their bikes. I found this one at a Japanese site, of all places.

main.jpg

And then there's this outfit in France called Wakan that's doing some very interesting stuff with the Sportster motor as its power plant.

Wakan10.jpg

But turning Harley Big Twins into cafe bikes and street fighters has been done, and some of them do look cool.

roland_sands_renstar.jpg

btr_tcsport.jpg

Still, when all's said and done, you wind up with a cool looking bike that has 50-year-old tech for its motor. At least the Yamaha's a more recent design, even if it does look retro.

Yamaha doesn't feel it will sell here. Yes, they see the numbers and offer accordingly. I honestly can't blame them. It would probably just sit in dealers showrooms and collect dust. Remember that it took a robust letter writting campaign to get the FJR here, and then it was only offered under the PDP program for 3 years! Fortunately that bike continues to sell even though Yamaha has not advertised it at all.

[ . . . ]

At the 2007 Tokyo Show Yamaha had a concept, The Sakura, which was a V-twin based retro paying homage to the XS1 and in a survey it was the most desirable bike they had on display. Hands down. What happened? I think the US has made it's own bed.

Ah yes, the XS-V1 Sakura. I remember when it debuted. Whatever happened to it, I wonder? More world economy bad news, perhaps?

Look, regarding the FJR, you're sorta making my own argument for me. I mean, how expensive would it be for Yamaha to do the same with the MT-01? It's already in production. And if it's for sale in Europe, it shouldn't be too hard to update it for the US market. I mean, Europe's smog and safety laws are probably at least as stringent nowadays as they are in the US. So Yamaha could offer the MT-01 here to a few select dealers and see what sort of reaction they'd get. I'll wager it'll be positive. According to one Canadian site I found, its MSRP isn't particularly out of line with other machines that might fit into its class. Hehe, with that class, as coach Bum Phillips used to say about running back Earl Campbell, "He may not be in a class of his own, but it sure don't take long to call role." As for factory-produced big-twin street fighters, I can think of only one other: the obscenely expensive Confederate motorcycles.

http://www.confederate.com/cm4/f131hellcat.php

- :agree: except that i dont see a medium term success story for asia either..looking at the 'baltic dry index' which registers the ammount of raw material being shipped around the world i dont see much of a future for chinese manufacturing and that will have a rapid overall effect on asian finances

- i like the XS-V1 but think a better designation would be GT-V1 in line with the 70's ducatis

Hehe -- scary thing is I actually know about the 'baltic dry index'. Probably not as much as you, but then Google is a wonderful thing. :D

I like much of the XS-V1, except for a couple of style points. Don't care for the way they designed the left exhaust pipe's route, for one thing. But that's picking nits. What I do like about it is it has a 1000cc air cooled motor. I prefer air-cooled bikes and plan to restrict my ownership to air-cooled machines for as long as I can.

Yeah, the world economy may be on the verge of tanking. Despite what the pundits rattle on about, I think that if the US economy tanks, China's will follow quickly behind. They may have lots of other markets for their products, but the US's is probably still the largest and any way you want to slice it, is responsible for a huge amount of their trade revenues. But I don't want to get side-tracked on that. My premise and belief is simply that, if Yamaha were to offer the MT-01 in the states, they would make money off it. And that's the ultimate bottom line for a big corporation, isn't it?

If the MT-01 is available in Canada buy one there there is not import duty on motor vehicles. If its too far to travel I'm ssure you candind a dealer that will the documentation and shipping for you. I bought an Audi in canada a while back.

Yeah, Yamaman, I believe you're correct. I've only seen one, and the guy who owned it brought it back with him from Europe.

Another tragedy, IMO.

Yes the TRX (TX with an R) is definately a TX of the '90's. Twin cyl, 270* crank, Ducati styling (the SS 900 was flying high at the time). Of course the XS was Triumph inspired, as was the trend of the day....

MT 01 is for sure, a love it or leave it bike, I don't see a lot around here. Similar to the Vmax.......

Yes the TRX (TX with an R) is definately a TX of the '90's. Twin cyl, 270* crank, Ducati styling (the SS 900 was flying high at the time). Of course the XS was Triumph inspired, as was the trend of the day....

MT 01 is for sure, a love it or leave it bike, I don't see a lot around here. Similar to the Vmax.......

Don't see much of anything here but Harleys:laugh:

link to pics of bt1100 bulldog

http://www.bikepics.com/yamaha/bt1100/

Last edited:
I'm in Canada and they don't sell well here. I recall being on a Yamaha demo ride where they had one on demo and everybody who rode it hated it. They all complained of too much vibration and too low a redline.

Most people seemed to love the look of it, and it sounds great with a decent pipe on it, but there doesn't seem to be much love for it other than that.

The MT-01 doesn't need a high redline as long as it's geared right. It reaches max torque somewhere around 3500 rpm, as I recall. Saw a vid at Youtube where they were doing dyno runs with one.

I guess if folks are used to 4-cyl sportbikes with 14k redlines they would complain.

I've always liked the V-Max, but have never been all that wild about its looks from the rear of the "tank" back. The seat has always looked like an afterthought to me. Some folks complain about the V-Max's handling, others don't seem to mind.

Still, I like the MT-01 because it screams the essence of "motorcycle" to me. And not even being able to see one in person prevents me from refining my views at all. Maybe I would hate it too once having ridden one, but I'll likely never know unless the Mothership changes its mind.

Jay, I guess I'm a bit surprised that you, being in Western Australia and all, have the same lack of variety that we suffer from here in Houston, Texas. For every sportbike I see, I see probably half a dozen Harleys. Even wth all the miles of farkles and bling, the view gets boring after a while.

Yamaman, I do believe your analysis is spot on wrt the TRX850. I thought it was a brilliant move on Yamaha's part to come out with a 270 degree twin. Now Triumph has picked it up with a few of their models. I know a guy who just bought one of the new Scramblers. He loves it. Dang thing sounds almost just like a Duc or a Guzzi.

Why isn't it in the US? Because the performance is subpar for a street fighter. Hell my raider can run an 11.88. Not that I've done it personally but I know people running better than that on the strip with the raider. yamaha is focusing its efforts on the 113 Liner/Raider motor and the vmax. Compared to the vmax that bike is slow. That and there is even rumor within yamaha corp that the Warrior might be on the way out.

i will say this though...it looks a whole lot better than the vmax.

As far as sup'd up sportster motors....they are crap. Nowhere near the performance your looking for. I can walk all over screaming eagle sportsters as if they were scooters. They, like most harleys are pathetic.

Back