Mule: New to forum!

He's building bikes for a niche market, and at a price point that is far higher than most of us can afford.

I think that whats most amazing is that he uses the XS650 regularly.

Our lowely little old engine can be dressed up for a $25,000 bike?

Don't discount this as a slow fancy expensive build...Richard knows his stuf. And his stuff moves.

The Mule Motorcycles website was what kicked me into gear to get mine done, in particular this bike.

2-Gabe650-037_fs.jpg

No, mine's nowhere near as nice as that one. But I'm still watching for one of those YZ tanks. One of these days...

I think this is the guy that made that wood seat/rear section for a Cycle World project bike a few years ago. no?

The YZ tank is from 1975/76 and is aluminum, but notice it has been notched to clear the top end of the motor...

And yes, Richard did the "Ebay" bike for Cycle World...

The YZ tank is pretty cool. He had pics on the site for a while showing the mods to it. That bike has been extensively modified even past the rear frame loop and the tank; look carefully at the front frame downtube.

I wonder what kind of bracing Richard does to compensate for the lack of lower frame. The stressed frame idea seems cool...

The YZ tank is pretty cool. He had pics on the site for a while showing the mods to it. That bike has been extensively modified even past the rear frame loop and the tank; look carefully at the front frame downtube.

He was doing so many mods on the stock frames that he figured he might was well start from scratch and build his own frames. Which he is doing now. Go to his website and drool for yourself! XS650's are not his only bag...

Check out the top tube etc. The stock top mount goes from two bolts to one then back to two. Eliminating all that weird crap Yamaha did really stiffens that area. That's part of how he turns the engine into a stressed member. I think he does them this way mainly because once the lower 'cradle' is removed he can really tuck the exhaust in under the engine. From a 'sell the bike' standpoint it's probably easier to title a stock frame, thus he starts with those.

Picture_018_fs.jpg

A 'close to stock' frame for comparison:

jason-035_fs.jpg

Last edited:
Back