Multimeter question?

wacko

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Can someone tell me where I want the dial on my multimeter to check my rotor? I know dumb question but this electrical stuff is all new to me.

Thanks

Use the 200 ohms scale to read from one slip ring to the other slip ring . Use the 2M ohms scale to read from 1 slip ring to the rotor frame. Remove the brushes to do this. Check the brush length when they are out..............3/8" or greater is best.

RG & WR both get bonus points today. I think you're looking for about 5 ohms measured from one slip-ring to the other. From one slip ring to the rotor frame you want the highest Ohm reading you can get, any real reading here means your rotor windings are starting to get leaky- and that's bad.

So I am only getting like 2 ohms so does that mean my rotor is garbage or can it be repaired?

Most of the stock trouble is with the rotor. Most of the rotor trouble comes from running poor batteries.
Poor batteries make the alternator work harder. This over heats the rotor. Excess heat burns up rotors.
To get a rewound rotor from Gary's runs about $135. The best you can do the PMA swap is $150 or better and on the later bikes you have to replace a perfectly good stock ignition for points or an aftermarket electronic one, another few hundred bucks.
I think fixing the stock system is cheaper. Spacing the alternator cover out 1/4 inch for better air flow around the alternator helps keep things cool.
Leo

Spacing the alternator cover out 1/4 inch for better air flow around the alternator helps keep things cool.
Leo

Leo have you ever seen a cover or case that has been modified to allow air flow?
Besides lifting it off the base? jus wonderin.

Leo have you ever seen a cover or case that has been modified to allow air flow?
Besides lifting it off the base? jus wonderin.

seen it done but are there any concerns getting water in there? seems like the electronics wouldn't like it too much. if not seems like a few strategically placed "speed holes" could help?

Here's a pic of my alternator with the cover spaced out. This was an XSJohn tip. I have used this for the last 4 seasons and I'm sure it keeps the alternator at a cooler temp compared to a closed in alternator.

I don't know if rain would cause problems, but just to be on the safe side, I remove the spacers (I carry an allen key on the bike) and close up the cover when I'm in rain.

In July I made a 5 day trip in the mountains, and of course it rained on 3 of the days. I simply closed the cover on those 3 days.

Attachments

• Alt mod2.JPG
    Alt mod2.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 64
I have seen covers with holes drilled in them. If you do be sure to open up the drain so any water that gets in can drain out. With my cover spaced out rain doesn't seem to bother anything. Early in the year before all the salt gets washed off the road you might want to check inside for salt build up and wash it out to prevent corrosion.
Opening it up and looking things over should be part of your maintainance any way.
Leo

racerdave;

You must have watched too much of the "Red Green" show. aka Steve Smith. He's a famous Canadian comedian. He believed duct tape could cure just about any problem:D

While duct tape is extremely useful, I find the spacer removal method to be simple and it works.

As Leo said, I also doubt that rain would cause any problems, but its just a precaution.

RG, I am a card carrying member of the "Possum Lodge". Kinda wish he would do a
"chopper shop" edition of the show but NOT using a 650.

xsjohn used to carry a piece of duct tape on the bottom of his seat for when it rained.
Like Leo he didn't worry about it to much after awhile.

Maybe someone will post up some pictures of vented covers or cases.

Back