Must do's - Spring maintenance

NewbieXS650Rider

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I'm reaching out here.
I have a 79 XS650 (which model I haven't figured out yet)
I'm not the handiest guy around the garage and my tools are generally better suited to woodworking applications...
I had out my Clymer manual last night. It pretty much directed me to a blazillion different maintenance tasks that I should undertake prior to hitting the road with the bike this year.
I've only had the bike for a year, so really don't know my way around it very well.
I should be able to handle the very basics (oil change/air filter/kinda stuff)
What are the 'must do's' that I should ensure I tackle - or, have the bike into a garage to take-on.

I appreciate the suggestions and direction.
-John S

Chain tension/lube, brake inspection, check points/plugs/ignition, valve adjustment/check, cable lube (throttle/clutch at minimum), fuel filter, check camchain tension

if anything else is unknown, hit it and start the maintenance schedule now. Fork fluid, greasing opportunities, check wheel/steering head bearings, check head torque.

it really depends on how the bike's running and if there's any other symptoms.

Hi
If you go for a quick getting it to run it would be the safety aspects
Charge the battery .. Lube and inspect the chain + inspect chain link .. Inspect the tires ... test that the brakes are working
inspect the wear. on pads
check brake lights and other lights.
Checking that all bolts are there and touch them with the spanners so nothing is drastically loose that happens
The head bolts I always check but not necessary directly first thing .

Slowly to the gas station adjusting tire pressure + filling up
And I emphasize slowly .. A couple of years I have been close to hit the curb.
Not far from home there is a slight left bend.
But by some reason that is there I open up - And the motorcycle accelerating the speed is up
And that small bend is not so small anymore . And the times I was most close getting airborne there was some gravel closer to the side
If you hit it leaning it can go wrong and you cant brake without loosing traction

Then back from that there are more I Change engine Oil and spark plugs checking ignition timing. If needed
Checking that the air filter are at the right spot . That is because I have pushed bikes a lot
I rarely change Brake Fluids or fork oil. I know it is wrong but that is how I have done it.
Then the Clymer manual has usually good descriptions if I have forgotten something here above
as well as the gentlemen s recommendations

I have a 79 XS650 (which model I haven't figured out yet)

I've only had the bike for a year, so really don't know my way around it very well.
NewbieXS650Rider, 79 is a particularly interesting year. Of the 3 avaliable models, there are Two which draw great interest. Both the 79 Standard model and the 79 Special II model are sought after. And the 79 Special which was the most common and is evident by its mag wheels and rear disc brake is very popular amongst the custom builders as well.
:)
Before even goin nuts over which components need immediate servicing, it would be very helpful for good advice to post pics! At a minimum post the mileage and general condition, and try to better describe the bikes components. Even the years of the storage environment can heavily influence what needs to be addressed.
Exciting to read of a 79 coming out for evaluation and servicing, yes, congrats on getting a hold of it.
Please do post further, you have the interest.

Unfortunately, many (if not most) of these bikes weren't maintained very well in their past. Yours is probably no exception. Eventually, you'll probably need and want to do everything mentioned. At the top of the list and to get you going this year, I'd say change the oil, clean the oil filters, check/adjust the valves and cam chain, and re-torque the head. The rest you can chip away at during the season. It's also a good idea to go through all the wiring. Clean the wires and connectors, repair any rubbed bare wires, and fix any loose plugs. This will help ward off electrical problems in the future.

One more thing, start a maintenance log. Record the date, mileage, and what you did .....

tPsvgxj.jpg

Here's some blanks you can print out ....

Attachments

• F-B.pdf
    37.4 KB · Views: 195
One more thing, start a maintenance log. Record the date, mileage, and what you did .....

tPsvgxj.jpg

Now, there's something that could make my life easier. I do random maintenance, or maintenance at random. It's an ADD thing, I guess. At least I do it. My 650 has 57,000 miles. I couldn't get there not maintaining it.

I picked-up the bike from a pretty reputable shop. They had gone-over the whole bike they said.
New tires, new brakes, new battery, new upholstery
The speedometer had been changed-out. No real idea of the mileage on the bike.
Steering head bearings were replaced by a different shop a year ago. I think they might've done the fork fluid at that time - I don't recall now.

At this point I think I'm prepared to take-on the oil change, air filter, chain lube and adjust, valve adjust, points adjust, clutch/throttle cable lube, ??

One of you suggested I post some pics of the bike to help determine which model it is. What in particular, should the pics feature? Are there particular features that are diagnostic?
-John S

Basically, show us some whole side views. There were 3 models in '79, the Standard, the Special, and a budget model of the Special designated the Special II. Wheels, seat and tank differed between the Standard and the two Special models.

At this point I think I'm prepared to take-on the oil change, air filter, chain lube and adjust, valve adjust, points adjust, clutch/throttle cable lube, ??

Well if you have bought the bike from a reputable shop much of those service items perhaps could be left out.
The shop should have done it.
Please give info how many miles it has been driven Since purchase
If we are talking --- Must dos -- it depends
Strobe light for ignition timing and feeler gauges for valve adjustment is not common woodworking tools
And both of those can go wrong as can every human effort do more or less. I am not saying that service is wrong
but there are other aspects to consider
Say for instance
If the bike was bought from a Yamaha dealer .Serviced and inspected
And driven 100 miles and then garaged .. Oil clear as whiskey
The suitable spring service can be different from if driven 3000 miles and then garaged.
Lube the chain and inspect and the cables and then do the Oil change and rest later on.??
On the other hand neither of those are difficult to check .. And should be right if the shop have done it right.
In my mind it also depends on the overall status of the bike.

Haven't uploaded pics to this site before.
Hope this works.

Attachments

• bike 1.jpg
    bike 1.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 137
  • bike 2.jpg
    bike 2.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 128
  • bike 3.jpg
    bike 3.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 137
Yes, it's the regular Special model, the more "deluxe" of the two Specials. It has mag wheels and disc brakes front and rear. The budget Special II has spoke wheels and a drum rear brake, less chrome too.

tPsvgxj.jpg

Thanks for that. Something I've been meaning to do for years and it means I can dump the bits of paper that are inserted into the various manuals with mileage / maint notes (after transcribing them, of course).
Can't recall the last time I saw a ring binder, but I know I've got one kicking around somewhere.

Back