my 1978 XS650E

78xs650s

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have to confess that I have used the knowledge from this site since summer of 2013 after purchasing my bike. Added Pamco electronic ignition and advance, repainted the scratched up and rusting tank and sidecovers, added new exhaust and mufflers. Had one just like it when my first son was born and finally found another. Best bike I ever owned.

Thanks for all the great information.

I have a two-into-one exhaust and muffler, points and plate, two single coils, and mechanical spark advance and plate free for anyone who wants them.

Attachments

• roaring river park 4-20-14.jpg
    roaring river park 4-20-14.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 175
Nice looking bike 78xs650s.
Thanks for the intro so I could see it and welcome to the site.

Last edited:
welcome !

Which 2 into 1 ? pics ?

~kop

Here are a couple of pics. It came with the bike so I don't know the brand but it worked fine. Just wanted separate exhausts.

Attachments

• 2 into 1 exhaust.jpg
    2 into 1 exhaust.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 122
  • 2 into 1.jpg
    2 into 1.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 131
I have to confess that I have used the knowledge from this site since summer of 2013 after purchasing my bike. Added Pamco electronic ignition and advance, repainted the scratched up and rusting tank and sidecovers, added new exhaust and mufflers. Had one just like it when my first son was born and finally found another. Best bike I ever owned.

Thanks for all the great information.

I have a two-into-one exhaust and muffler, points and plate, two single coils, and mechanical spark advance and plate free for anyone who wants them.

Included some pics of paint process that I learned from you guys. All spray cans with Rustoleum except final clearcoats were with 2K.

Attachments

• rust pitted paint.jpg
    rust pitted paint.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 169
  • bare metal.jpg
    bare metal.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 165
  • rustoleum sandable primer.jpg
    rustoleum sandable primer.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 174
  • rustoleum gloss black base.jpg
    rustoleum gloss black base.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 176
  • rustoleum shimmer clearcoat.jpg
    rustoleum shimmer clearcoat.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 161
  • tank with 2K clear coat over decals.jpg
    tank with 2K clear coat over decals.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 208
Spray cans....dang looks good I need to do mine...then you just had it clear coated at a shop?

After the 2 coats of primer, 2 coats of base, and 2 coats of shimmer clearcoat, I let it sit until the next day. Carefully applied the decals and then shot 2 coats of 2K clear coat from a rattle can also.

Toughest part was the decal application. Actually the toughest part was just deciding to do it myself.

Ok yeah I found decals online and new badges...badges are e expensive....well you gave me some inspiration to do it my self....good job

Really nice looking 78, you are an artist with the rattle can! (I did not know that sort of clear coat was available)

Back