My 1st build is done!

99orton

Oregon XS650
Reaction score
First off I want to thank everyone here. I have been reading threads, the tech section etc. to help me with learning about these bikes.
About 2 years ago I picked up a 1980 650G pretty cheap. It ran but the carbs flooded and was pretty rough. I proceeded to cut it up and used a TCBros. hardtail and a bunch of parts I bought from friends and off Ebay. I finally got it all together, rebuilt the carbs and rewired with the needed items to run and be legal in Oregon. I then did my 1st. base coat/clear coat paint job that turned out pretty good if I do say so myself.
After the paint cured I reassembled it, dumped some gas in the tank and on the 2nd. kick it came to life. This thing is a gas to ride. I can't wait for some good weather.
Thanks again to all.

005.jpg

011.jpg

013.jpg

Sweet bike. Congrats on getting it done.
One question, I guess two, where did you get the bullet signal lights and are they LED?

Great job man! Bike looks really fun to ride.

I'm right over here in Brookings. Maybe we'll get a chance to meet up and ride sometime this summer.

The hardest thing was picking the colors.

THAT is ALWAYS the hardest part for me too !!! This will be my first bike of this nature, did a 57 Turbo VW bug complete pan off restoration. Went into the paint store with it narrowed down to 3 colors, needless to say what I walked out with, was NOT one of the three. :eek: BUT it was good enough to land a 3 page spread in HOT VW's magazine.

My bike has not even arrived here yet and I am already researching paint schemes, I am thinking I wanna do something with GOLD LEAF, which something I have never done. So it ALL will be a learning experience.

THAT is ALWAYS the hardest part for me too !!! This will be my first bike of this nature, did a 57 Turbo VW bug complete pan off restoration. Went into the paint store with it narrowed down to 3 colors, needless to say what I walked out with, was NOT one of the three. :eek: BUT it was good enough to land a 3 page spread in HOT VW's magazine.

My bike has not even arrived here yet and I am already researching paint schemes, I am thinking I wanna do something with GOLD LEAF, which something I have never done. So it ALL will be a learning experience.

lol, we walked out with a different color than we had in mind as well. I just let my wife pick out the colors since she has a better eye for it than I do.

Back