My 72 XS Hardtail Sorta Build Thread

nice sporty forty-eight, all stock xs650's have bad vibes. I have done a few builds and even the stock ones have some bad vibes, not as bad as the chops though.

So....the semester ended yesterday and Im free...up early this morning. Plans: Drink beer, and work on the XS. Its been long overdue.

the bike is looking nice...the pipes are nicer.....

heres what i have
[/IMG]

Attachments

• bike5.jpg
    bike5.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 1
Lookin good! Good choice on the pipes. They look great. White walls are a good touch. Are you going to leave it flat black?

yeah ...the flat black paint is very easy to keep up with......i think i am going to wrap the pipes in black tape, white has changed color over the recent months.......someone told me to spray piant the white tape...either way...

nice sporty....the real bike left in the HD family.:thumbsup:

Don't tell the guys at the HD shop that. The 48, to me, examplifies alot of the qualities that's associated with the XS hardtails. Just raw, simple, no thrills motorcycling. You wont ride cross country or venture to far from gas stations but they're both cool as fuck to bob around town.

do you happen to have the old pipes still that you took off

Sure dont. I was trying to sell them and was at the point to where I'd give them away but due to their size shipping was going to be a pain and probably cost a nice chunk of $$$. So I threw them out on the scrap pile.

When I picked up this XS the guy had given me several boxes of parts. While digging through the shop today I came across that box and found there was a complete 18" rim and hub in there. So I'll be using that over the current 16" wheel. Oh and the rear fender is bugging the shit out of me. Too flat. So Im going to ditch it for something with more shape. Its starting to seem like by the time Im done the only parts I'll have used off the original bike are the motor and frame. :doh:

So progress has been a bit slow, been pretty busy lately. Got the frame back from powdercoat a couple weeks back but here's where it stands now.

DSC01012.jpg

anyway you can post a close up pic right in front of the tank, my xs2 has a big plastic piece there and im trying to figure a way to remove it cleanly, just wanted to see your setup....

So I'm a bit embarassed that this project has dragged on this long. Seems other priorities and projects got in the way but I've recently been back at it. With the help of my brother and profane language the engine was persuaded back into place. My orginal plan was to use the original owners wiring, however that was one big mess so over the last couple days I've practically rewired everything. Also bought a ribbed fender from 7 Metal West that's pretty sweet. Looks like I need to pull the clutch cover again and inspect my kickstart shaft spring as it's not recoiling when kicked over.

Anyway, still lots to do but I climbed up on top of it the other night and found myself getting pretty excited about the project again. I figured by bumping this thread and getting ridiculed from some people on the internet would push me a little more.

3d198b7d.jpg

And though it's not XS related here's an update pic on my other bike. I got caught up in it which is part of the reason the XS fell behind. After the XS is complete I'm wanting to mess with it further.

4906bbec.jpg

^^^Thanks...it's a fun bike.

Not really much visual progress. I put the front end back together, minus the caliper, and rolled it outside because after all this time my work lift had collected a mass chaos of dust, parts, and tools. So I took that time to clean up. Still a long way to go but it was nice to get a look at what the lines would look like once complete. Still not 100% sure I like that seat.

d2b9322f.jpg

0cc0cb8d.jpg

Note to Self: Don't try to kickstart these bikes in tennis shoes.

Last night I had finally buttoned up my wiring, fuel lines and had everything else in order to see if it would fire. Gave it 3 primer kicks, switched the ignition on, flipped the choke and in 2 kicks it fired right up. I only let it idle for about 5 seconds then shut it off because I knew it was a bit low on oil. So I filled my oil level, pulled out my phone to send my brother and friends some video of it running. Needless to say I was pumped up about it firing up so I got cocky. Well it kicked back and jammed/twisted/sprained my ankle. No running videos for a few days now, looks like I'll be on crutches for a couple days.

But I'm still pretty pumped about it running, which means that my wiring, which I was questionable about, is indeed correct.

Back