My 72 XS Hardtail Sorta Build Thread

Cool, I'd hate to see someone hurt from a poor weld. Earlier you said you were ditching the HID headlight. Not sure if the 650 electrics are up to it.
The HID headlight draws about half the current and puts out a scootload more light. I might keep it. If you dont like the bucket, the bulb will fit in a different one.

I had to go to my original post and reread what I had posted.

The current headlight is just a standard halogen bulb. Adding an HID is something I was considering pending the XS could handle the (initial) draw.

Did some crap over the weekend...cut out all the not needed brackets...then realized I had cutoff the mount for my brake light switch :doh:. Also started cutting out the neck gussets so the tank can sit lower. I havent smoothed the neck out and I'll be having some new gussets made and welded in soon. Heres some pics...

Before cutting the guessets...

DSC00680.jpg

After..the tank now sits a little lower.

DSC00686.jpg

And new tank > old tank...

DSC00687.jpg

Just an idea...might run with this.

DSC00684.jpg

As soon as I finish smoothing out the neck, weld in the gussets(or the other option shown above) I'll throw the motor in to weld on mount tabs for the exhaust and the frame will be done and ready for paint.

- shouldnt fix gussets down the centre of the tube, should fix to the sides-much stronger

I'm not so sure you need the gussets. Lots of people don't put them back. I'm not sure the stock ones are gussets, or more of a tank mount. Your bike will only weigh around 300 lbs done. I left mine out, and have had no problems. Some guys even cut out the tube for the upper motor mount, and no failure has been talked about. All of this is just my opinion, I'm no engineer,and I don't play one on TV.

Did you atleast stay at a Holiday Inn last night? :thumbsup:

While Ive seen several guys run without gussets I'd just feel a bit uneasy about it with a vibration happy motor and Louisiana roads are garbage. Im also gonna leave in the upper motor mounts.

I have cut out the factory gussets on the new bike I'm working on. I have thought about cutting the tube for the motor mount, but leave the upper mount part. I dont think I would want to run without a top motor mount.
Where in La. are ya ? I moved up to Maine from Shreveport about a year ago. I miss the Ark-La-Tex.

Im on the opposite end right out of Lafayette. Shreveport doesnt count as Louisiana, when I take over the world Im donating Shreveport to Arkansas. :laugh:

- cmon now shreveport cant be all that bad-kinda pretty there by the red river...didnt leadbelly come from the area ?
- we have a member from shreveport...havent heard from him in a while...where are you shreve ?

Nah Port O' Shreve aint that bad. The weird thing about La is that you can go a few miles and notice slight culture and dialect variations even from town to town.

New toy came in today. 1500lb capacity air operated. Has the ATV extensions to go up to 48" wide.

IMG00065-20100825-2017.jpg

about that top motor mount... im a newbie and just bout a xs650 that has been hardtailed, stretched and a few other mods to the frame. It doesnt have a top motor mount and anything over 55-60 vibrates like a SOB....maybe its something else...like i said im a newbie and im sure an experienced member could say more to that

While the XS is known for vibrations I'd say not having an upper motor mount would just worsen the problem.

about that top motor mount... im a newbie and just bout a xs650 that has been hardtailed, stretched and a few other mods to the frame. It doesnt have a top motor mount and anything over 55-60 vibrates like a SOB....maybe its something else...like i said im a newbie and im sure an experienced member could say more to that
l

Sounds like you need to get out the wrenches and lock tite and go over the bike. Not saying that you have a problem but it is better to check now than while in motion.

Posted via Mobile

l

Sounds like you need to get out the wrenches and lock tite and go over the bike. Not saying that you have a problem but it is better to check now than while in motion.

Posted via Mobile

oh im pretty sure its a problem haha. I just got the bike and Im a newb. Locktite and wrenches here I come! after class of course

I like the idea of a top motor mount just to tie the whole engine cradle together. Your vibes could be lots of things,bad chain,wheels out of balance, some guys even talk of carbs being out of sync. will cause vibes.
Welcome to XS650 ownership, and welcome to the forum. Come here before you take a big hammer to the bike, lots of great help can be found here.
Nice lift Yourad,no more XS curly toe from working on your knees,and no more back aches.

No doubt...its alot more stable than the crappy stand I had made out or scrap wood to get by for the time.

So work has stalled a bit...been stupid busy with school and other crap but I did weld in the fake oil tank and battery box. Been needing to drop it off to a welder for the neck guessets fabbed and welded in. As soon as that is done it should go pretty quick since all that should be left is paint(rattle can) and reassembly.

And I also picked this up last weekend

DSC00688.jpg

Back