my 79 cafe build

79yam

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
i thought i would put all i have done into a build thread

i picked it up for 500$ , a few glitches but all in all a runner
the build at first was going to be a bobber but as my funds are a little low right now i thought i would just do a cafe racer look for now, and when i have a better place to work on it and a little more money then ill tackle the bobber build

as to date i have removed all unwanted clutter , signals ( headache awaits ) seat , rear fender , gauges , handle bars , reflectors , air boxes , rear tail light.
IMG_0607.jpg
i feel lighter already

so i picked up a few parts , clubman bars , led signals , and side mount license plate and light.
41-BTtBQscL.jpg
detail_419_28xl-tail-light-bracket.jpg

so i was going to buy a ready made cafe seat-pan but decided i could make one
IMG_1046.JPG
the flasher headache took a lot of useless parts and a lot of time

and just wrapped my exhaust yesterday , i still have yet to cover the seat-pan next week i think.
IMG_1052.JPG
IMG_1060.JPG

let me know what you guys think , sorry about the bad pictures.

They are very small, but bright like hell, I have to build the turn signal in aluminium because their get hot very fast, those leds need a lens, so, i have to build the turn signal with room to fit the lens and some how sealed, find the right circuit driver and voala... I hope I can do it easy like I toll you...

very very cool! keep me posted on updates , what about an aluminum finned holder , and the housing could have a few thin air vents on the underside.

very very cool! keep me posted on updates , what about an aluminum finned holder , and the housing could have a few thin air vents on the underside.

Good tip, simple and easy to build... Thanks, I will let you know about this..

finished the base pad for my cafe seat , not that happy with it the center line got twisted but it will get me threw the summer then i can take another crack at it.
IMG_1069.JPG

IMG_1070.JPG

not at all , i would put more time into prep work , adding plywood to mold of off instead of cardboard. just remember the shape you start with is what you will end with , blue tape everything , and aluminum tape over that , and lots or car wax

go my new spoked wheels in today , well the front one in , the rear will be a little more work , if any one know what i might need to get this to work , disk mag on bike right now and im putting on a spoke drum , i think i have all the parts i need , will it bolt right in?
and any modifications that anyone knows of?
IMG_1085.JPG

no way of converting disk swing arm ?
so i have
wheel
drum assembly
with rod with spring and splined arm that the foot break attaches to ,
i still need the arm that locks the drum into place
, can i use my existing break foot lever ?

The brake pedal is the same. And if memory serves me right the disk brake swingarm is wider. So you would need different spacers for the drum. You'd have a much easier time just buying someones drum swingarm.

I Just measured an 82 and 81 drum brake swing arm and a 79 disc swing arm. they all measure 8 1/4 inches The only difference in the swingarms is the brake strut anchor point. The drum is under, the disc is on top.

Your pedal itself is the same. The pivot shaft is different. The parts the pedal hooks onto.

You can use the disc strut you just need to weld a mount on the swing arm. I would take the swing arm off the bike. Mount the wheel in the swing arm, hook the strut to the brake plate. Get the point the strut hooks to pointed just a bit forward of straight down. Take it to a welder and have them make a mount like on the top of the swing arm and bolt it to the strut and then weld it to the swing arm.

On the chain side of the hub you should be able to use the same spacer. The one on the brake side you will need to get one from a bike about the same year as your bike.

I did a brake swap the other way round, took off the drum, put on a disc. I will be swapping back. The spoke wheels are much lighter.

great info xsleo
i'm just waiting on the new brake parts (springs , shoes and the strut bolt)

is the pivot shaft the long rod , with the spring and nut , mine has a grease nipple on it, if it is the pivot shaft that is.

good idea to take the whole swing arm off and take it to a welder with the wheel mounted to it .
thanks
for the easy explanation !

i might still see if i could find a drum swing arm so i can just bolt it on.

Yes, the pivot shaft has the long rod that goes back and hooks to the lever on the brake plate.
The grease fitting is a good thing. Keeping it greased keeps the brake from binding, this can make the pedal hard to push and possibly lock the brake.
After you take the pedal off the one in the bike slides out toward the inside of the frame. The new one slides right back in, just make sure the lever part points up.
When I did the drum to disc swap I got a disc brake swing arm. Found one about ten minutes before the end of the auction on ebay with no bids. The starting bid was $9.99 I bid $10. With shipping it was like $17. I didn't have a welder at the time and I don't think I could get it welded for that price.

i found a great place to put my signals , i removed the gauges and the holes fit the led signal light perfectly
IMG_1089.JPG
IMG_1090.JPG

i still have some cleaning up to do but this i think is were they will live.

Back