my bad dog weekend build-

johnnymac

1975 xs650b
Reaction score
Hey again- I got the urge to change the look of my old xs a little- (I was never really crazy about the handle bar set up and the look of the huge headlight) I had a three day weekend and wanted to make something like a old style racing bike look- I went to the local motorcycle salvage place- stuff is fairly cheap there but nothing is marked well so I have no way of knowing what make and year these parts come off of- I found some cool clip ons and a cool small headlight- When I put on the clip ons- I realized the gauges wouldn't fit so I cut about an inch and a half of- See picture- and tig welded it back together- I took the rubber mounts that held the old handlebars and used them as left and right indicators (had some old jewel indicators around)- Here are some pics- I'm fairly tall with long arms and I love the riding stance- I think it looks like a bad dog that just got scolded-

Attachments

• gauges.jpg
    gauges.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 115
  • gaugesmounted.jpg
    gaugesmounted.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 119
  • newbars1.jpg
    newbars1.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 100
  • newbars2.jpg
    newbars2.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 110
  • allmounted.jpg
    allmounted.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 118
  • baddogstreet.jpg
    baddogstreet.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 123
  • lightblinksmounted.jpg
    lightblinksmounted.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
It's amazing how those small changes give your bike an entirely different look. Great work. Nice scoot.

I've made a few changes on my 75 too.
I have the opposite problem. I'm a bit short in the inseam.
I cut out some of the seat so I can touch the ground with more than my tip toes.
Bars a bit taller and more pull back.

Thanks for the comments-I love it- it really feels like an old mean race bike- In the last week I've been pulled over twice for not obeying the non posted speed- No tickets- I think they just wanted to get me to slow down so they could check out the old XS- Teebs- your right, just a few small changes and I now totally love my ride-

Back