My barn find

XSJoel

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
So I mentioned it before somewhere on here a few months ago and have been waiting. It is a 1983 XS650SK with original title. Been sitting since 1998 when the owner parked it due to carb trouble. Heavy layer of rust, some parts are better than others. Haven't had time to really look it over with finals and all so it shall sit a while.

Not a bad place to start. A good overall cleaning will tell how much is just dirt and how much is actually rust.
The carbs need to spend some time with the carb guide and some elbow grease.
Good find and good luck.
Leo

Thanks, got it for $200. I am going to first put some Marvel Mystery oil in the cylinders and let that sit for a week or so. Probably pull the carbs on this and my 81 XS since they both need cleaning anyway. After the Marvel sits a while going to do a compression test and go from there.

Yeah and that layer of dust makes it more valuable! Specially if it's authentic "barn" dust. Just in my humble opinion; It's a good idea to open the valve covers and hit the stem with PB blaster or wd40 also and in the intake/ exhaust ports. Then hit em again with motor oil before attempting to start it. Looks like a good project for you and a great deal to boot. Oh the air filters surely will be disintegrated, remove them before you crank it over so the debris doesn't get sucked into the engine. Love to watch rehab threads............

Thanks for the advice Gary, always open to advice on these sorts of things. I don't have too much planned right now until I get compression numbers back. So it will be a week or so before I even try to start it up.

Also, there is no key with it, could I take the VIN to a Yamaha dealer and get a key or am I limited to having a locksmith cut me one from the ignition?

Last edited:
I think there is a number on the lock that will get you the right key made.

Those Heritage motors clean up nice, this one is coming along for me. Should be first start this week, 160 both sides so it should go easy.

HSengine.jpg

I love to buff the flange covers and clamps

http://www.bsupply.us/xs650/flanges.jpg

flanges.jpg

Man that did clean up super nice Gary. I am afraid this one may need a good $500 to even think about looking like yours.

Back