my bike starts,runs,idles perfectly but will not rev!

Yea, but mine still is doing it and I changed plugs. Sounds terrible when the throttle is cranked and has to be pumped to get it going and as the rpms increase it gets better. From1000rpm to 3000 I am pumping the throttle to get it going.

Yea, but mine still is doing it and I changed plugs. Sounds terrible when the throttle is cranked and has to be pumped to get it going and as the rpms increase it gets better. From1000rpm to 3000 I am pumping the throttle to get it going.

Try starting and running it with the gas cap open to make sure the tank is venting. Take your air filters out and try again. When it is not running ..Pull off a float bowl drain plug and drain a cup of gas or two to see if you are getting enough fuel .. will drain fast first until the bowls are empty then if it slows down..petcocks could be plugged. With it running spray a little fuel directly into the carb throat. any change?. Turn off the fuel when it is running ..does it suddenly improve just before it runs out of gas? Do you see any white smoke from the exhaust? Is your exhaust plugged?
Just a few thoughts...:bike::thumbsup:

Last edited:
If it has electronic ignition (and a 1980 should), it doesn't have an advance rod. It's programmed into the TCI control unit.

I'm going with retired a fuel delivery problem. I had a v65 that wouldn't rev turned out to be a blocked pilot. I know u said u cleaned them n all good. But def a fuel prob or u got a blown head.

fantastic read mouser thanks . Best 10 minutes escapism I've spent in ages.:thumbsup: I reckon we should add these threads to a sub section somewhere and make an ebook out of them:laugh:

I reckon an arse kicking isn't enough .... you should pull a few fingernails or get a wax job on your legs at least .:D

I was thinking advance all along but it just shows you can never trust substituted new parts when troubleshooting.

Back