My bobber build

So I'm considering swapping to a hydraulic clutch. I thought that was supposed to be a remedy for the "cant find neutral" issue that arises when things get up to temp. So I'm reading this thread http://www.xs650.com/threads/hydraulic-clutch-intrest.48726/page-6 and supposedly going hyd doesnt necessarily solve the neutral issue.

Is there a definitive solution to finding neutral once warm. In just the few days I had the donor bike it was nearly impossibly to find neutral even after just 100 yards down the road and back. You could go in and out of neutral just fine though before running up and down the street.

On the subject of hyd clutch swaps.....how would a slave cylinder that comes with a 12.7mm bore master cylinder act if you used a 14mm master instead? The hyd kit that xs650.de sells comes with a 12.7mm master. The controls I'm looking at using if I do this swap have 14mm bore master. Is the increased bore going to cause problems?

I've got a slave with a 1" piston and with a 13mm master cylinder is pretty light. I don't know if it makes a difference but my master is a radial style.

Attachments

• 20180302_124526.jpg
    20180302_124526.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 178
I looked at those, but the price was a bit steep. I have more time than money, so I followed what mrriggs did and made my own.

I realized I bit off more than I can chew with this project. I put it on CL 6-7 months ago. Pretty much no bites until last week. A young fellow in Fayetteville AR contacted me wanting to know if I would be interested in an unmolested '83 Heritage Special in trade. I said absolutely. He is the owner of One Up Moto Garage.

He had just freshened the carbs and he took it for a test ride. Something screwy with it jumping out of 1st gear cropped up on said ride. He asked me if there were any known issues with the motor for my project. I said none that I was aware of. He drove to my house ( 5/29) picked up my motor, took it home (temporarily living in Batesville AR) swapped motors and brought it back today 5/30. You folks should check out his site and see what fine work he does.

He wants to build a chopper/bobber but didn't want to hack this survivor, saw my ad and we struck the deal. Hope the pics work.
I'll be losing the buckhorns.

Attachments

• 20190530_171049.jpg
    20190530_171049.jpg
    333.5 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Well that seems like a pretty good deal for you! That’s a nice looking bike, I hope you enjoy it!

Back