My budget cafe build

Tonka

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I figured I'd start a build thread even though I'm somewhat underway. I got a 78 for free as a parts bike along with a chopper I bought. However the chopper didn't need and parts and the parts bike isn't missing much aside from a key, a battery, spark plug boots, a side cover, and the title. Otherwise it's complete and the motor has compression. O an its ugly as hell! The Po was going to swap this engine into the chopper but the chopper is a 71 and if rather keep it that way. I've never done a cafe build so I thought this would be fun.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 172
Tore her down the rest of the way aside from the motor, wiring and front end to sand and paint.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 183
Cleaned up the wheels and tires and reassembled. Also added some clubman bars I had laying around.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
Started dishing the tank. Also picked up a 70's helmet from a yard sale for $2 and got some sheet metal to start my seat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 234
So I used L brackets and machine screws to fasten everything. Then after bodywork and paint its one solid peice. I also got foam and leather from Joann fabrics and padded it. Total cost was about $60 and I'm pretty happy with the finished product. I used the rubber stoppers from the stock seat so it wasent directly on frame rails. The front fastens under the gas tank mount and their are pipe clamps in the rear that fasten to the rails so its nice and firmly mounted. I also picked up the missing side panel off of eBay and stripped paint on the panels and front fender. Cut the front fender and painted the tins.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 213
Got an aftermarket ignition from my local shop for $20 and removed the old keyless one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 159
I cut a mounting plate for the new ignition and painted it up. Sits low but same location as stock.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 180
I took off the headlight brackets. Ordered some black ones off of eBay that can mount lower. Also remounted the tach and speedo setup to the bottom of their mounts dropping them almost am inch. Trying to get a lower line in the front and the bring the light out some while aligning it with the tank. Next I need to pick up a battery and spark plug boots. Now that I have an ignition it's time to get her started. I also pulled the emblem brackets off of the tank so I need to get the holes welded so I can start the bodywork and paint. Plus I want to order a chain because the one I have is all rusty. Also putting some thought into a taillight under the rear fairing and I'm on the fence on turn signals. That puts the thread up to speed though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 184
Lookin good so far. was this all in one day? lol I had a similar day if so. Did all this on my SR500 today.

Keep truckin

Attachments

• 1383408_10153303199855113_1457591104_n.jpg
    1383408_10153303199855113_1457591104_n.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 167
  • 1234022_10153303199995113_876079039_n.jpg
    1234022_10153303199995113_876079039_n.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 182
Thanks! No, this was over the course of a few weeks. A few hours here and there. It was supposed to be a winter build but at this rate I might be on to another one by then.

I got new brackets and mounted the headlight in line with the tank. I also got a dual circle brake light and mounted that under the rear of the fender. I got some needed spark plug boots. The chain has been soaking in wd for a week now and Im going to wire wheel it off and hopefully get it looking nice again. The tank is with a friend who is welding up the holes from pulling the emblem brackets. Im planing to order a battery this weekend and hopefully Ill be firing it up by next weekend. Pictures to come.

I finished the paint but needed some parts money for my chopper so the cafe racer got sold.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 176
Back