My Build Thread: 'Its Been Two Years!'

Rlauchard

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've been on this site now for 2 years come this Christmas. I've come a long way working on my bike, but I've never put all of my work into a single build thread to document any of it...so this is it.

Background: I was a 36 year old father of two when I decided that I was tired of sitting at work all day not making anything (I work for the retail brands Macy's/Bloomingdale's) , then sitting in front of the TV at night passing time. It was time to learn something, so I decided to learn about motorcycles. I found this bad boy sitting on a renters porch with wee little kittens climbing all over it.

I talked the guy into giving it to me for $450.00. He said it ran, but the main fuse was popping and he didn't know what to do with it. I took a chance, purchased the bike and dragged it to my tiny room just off my garage that the previous owner used to store his trash cans.

It turned out to be a 1981 XS 650 Special, SH model. The thought from me was that this would be fun...the thought, or rather hope from my wife was that I'd fail miserably and not put myself in danger. And so....it began....

Attachments

• IMAG0098.jpg
    IMAG0098.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 235
So, now it was time to get started...step 1...register on this site...step 2...get a manual. Now in all fairness, I should have read the contents of step 1 and step 2, but alas, I was too excited....so time to jump right in!

I had to figure out what was making the fuse pop every time I turned the key. I hunkered down in my little makeshift man cave with a work light, an Ipad and a mission...fix the electric. Luckily I had good buddies stop by each night before bedtime.

The first step was to start chasing down the electric current. I did find a tremendous article that first night from XSLeo in the tech section that describes the power flow as you turn a key on.

It took about 3 nights to get me there, but here's what I found. The PO had replaced the rotor and stator, but when hooking up the power wire, he accidentally had the power wire touching the stator which made the whole thing hot. When the left side case was put on...it shorted and blew the main fuse. Simply moving the hot wire so as not to touch solved my problem! Now I had electric...

Sure enough, the PO was spot on...I put new gas in the tank, and put in a new battery, and she fired up...after a LOT of coaxing...but she started.

I was SOOOOO pumped...I got my helmet on and got ready for my first motorcycle ride EVER. I pointed the beast toward the road from my garage, my wife and my kids were glued to see this thing go....I gave it some throttle, and let out on the clutch...LUUUURRRRCH, stall. WTF??? I started it up again (I know how to use a clutch...don't I?)....gave a bit more gas...let out on the clutch....LUUUURRRRCH. Oh well...back to the drawing board to solve another issue.

Attachments

• IMAG0259.jpg
    IMAG0259.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 239
  • dsc06677.jpg
    dsc06677.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 238
Took a couple of weeks off between the wiring issue and getting back to work on the bike. But during that time, I became glued to reading posts on the site, and reviewing the Haynes Manual.

I can't remember when or how I figured it out...but it seemed to be a common occurrence. The little 5/16" ball (I think that's the size) that is in the worm gear on the left side of the bike had fallen out. The ball is needed to put enough pressure on the clutch rod to push the clutch plates apart. My previous post is a little off (remember I'm doing this from memory)...it actually would lurch when I shifted into first gear even though my clutch was pulled in.

I got a new ball and a few basic parts that folks recommend from MikesXS (air filters for the original box, ball bearing, etc, etc). Once I put the new ball in...OH YEAH...my kids were impressed with what I had done...my wife simply shook her head. Remember that she was banking on me NOT figuring this out.

Look at me...I'm now a MOTO STUD! :D:thumbsup:

Attachments

• dsc06698.jpg
    dsc06698.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 235
This build thread has gone really nowhere because I have about zero time to do anything besides trying to build a house, finish this motorcycle and deal with my 2 boys and 1 kid that's due in April.

So....here's the general unveiling of the progress that I've made. Let me know your thoughts...I think it's pretty kewl myself. Not bad for my first motorcycle at least!

Attachments

• photo(4).jpg
    photo(4).jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 262
No not bad at all. Nice looking build so far, I too have an 81 special that I am currently finishing up my cafe on. Keep us updated, its looking good so far!

That is a really strong first effort, tell us about where the seat was sourced.

From this site...Chappelle Customs. I spoke to him directly, told him what I wanted and placed the order. It was quick and the quality was great. It has fabric on the underside...comes with mounting holes for some all-thread. I used the all-thread on the seat, then some butterfly nuts under the seat to make it secure and removable.

Back